IV

Sparring

At the end, Naomi didn't ask Sasuke at all. No, It wasn't due to hesitation, though; this question had been weighing on her mind for weeks. She desperately needed to ask and clear her confusion, but a twist of event stood in her way. Sasuke had become incredibly popular at the academy, attracting a swarm of fan girls wherever he went, following him like devoted minions.

Naomi hate the crowd and couldn't bear being in the midst of it. Each time she geared up to approach Sasuke, an avalanche of girls would suddenly push and shove, their eyes filled with admiration. Naomi did have genuine feelings for Sasuke, but her social anxiety got the better of her. She refused to be swept away by the wave of fanatical girls. Consequently, she found herself deliberately keeping her distance from Sasuke whenever the fan girls were around.

As she distanced herself from Sasuke, an unexpected bond grew between her and Shikamaru. Shikamaru, it seemed, had been quietly looking out for Naomi all along, something she came to truly appreciate. Whenever she was alone, Shikamaru would silently accompany her. Even when other kids rejected her, suggesting that Shikamaru play with them instead, he would insist on sitting by her side.

"They're too noisy. I prefer it here."

"I'm more comfortable here."

"Nah, too lazy to play. I'll just stay here."

These were the excuses he offered each time. At first, Naomi didn't grasp the underlying meaning behind Shikamaru's words, but gradually she came to understand. He used these excuses when she was alone or near her bullies. She realized that this was his subtle way of showing he cared, his silent company providing her solace. Even though she suspected that he was just too lazy to explain his reasons, reflecting on Shikamaru made her break into an unconscious smile.

 Even though she suspected that he was just too lazy to explain his reasons, reflecting on Shikamaru made her break into an unconscious smile

"What are you thinking about?" The abrupt intrusion of a voice into her daydream jolted her from her thoughts. "If you get startled easily, you'll be an easy target," the boy continued. She turned to look at the him—it was Sasuke. "Thank goodness it's you, Sasuke. I thought it might be someone else," she admitted, her hand resting on her chest as if to prevent her heart from leaping out.

""Tell me, what's going on in your head? You've been smiling at nothing for the past five minutes," Sasuke inquired, a touch of irritation evident in his voice. "Oh, well... it's not really anything," she responded, feeling her cheeks grow warm. Sasuke love her sweet smile, yet the fact that he didn't understand its cause irked him. "It definitely can't be 'nothing' if it's making you that happy," Sasuke persisted, his tone pushing her to reveal the reason of her smile.

"STOP BOTHERING MY SISTER, SASUKE!" Naruto's voice rang out as he rushed over to whisk Naomi away from him. "Nii-chan!" Naomi greeted her brother with an affectionate smile. "Ugh, finally... he's such a pain. Kept whining about not wanting to lose to Sasuke," Shikamaru chimed in from behind Naruto.