III

First day at the Ninja Academy

PS: This is gonna be a long one! enjoy the ride :3

In the days following, the village buzzed with discussions of the tragic Uchiha massacre, and the fact that only one Uchiha remained—a prodigious child. Being a part of the village, Naomi couldn't avoid hearing the rumors and conversations. She might not have known that Sasuke was an Uchiha, but the hushed whispers and tense body language whenever he was nearby were enough to piece together the truth.

 While Naomi saw Sasuke as her friend, the villagers regarded him as a prodigy and a symbol of promise. They anticipated great achievements from him, positioning him as the opposite of the twins. Where the twins were seen as cursed, Sasuke was celebrated as a blessing, a beacon of hope.

Despite Naomi and Sasuke's budding friendship, their interactions remained infrequent due to his aloof demeanor toward most people. Naomi made attempts to visit him and offer support, but her twin brother Naruto's constant need for companionship demanded a considerable amount of her attention. As Naruto's sole friend and family member, Naomi's presence was crucial to him.

Several weeks passed, leading up to the day the twins were to begin their enrollment at the Ninja Academy. Naruto was brimming with excitement, eager to embark on his path to becoming a strong ninja and eventually fulfilling his dream of becoming Hokage. Conversely, Naomi harbored a deep apprehension about the upcoming venture. The prospect of encountering many new people and engaging in numerous interactions left her terrified.

"Nii-chan, please wait for me!" Naomi called out, her voice carrying a mix of urgency and concern as she chased after her brother.

"C'mon, sis! You've got to keep up!" Naruto encouraged, taking hold of Naomi's hand to ensure she maintained their pace.

The siblings hurried to the academy, finally entering their classroom. However, as they stepped inside, Naomi's hand began to grow cold, and her unease became evident. The sight of the room filled with people overwhelmed her, marking her first time being in such a densely crowded space. Naruto notice her distress and try to calm her down by connecting their hand softly.

"Hey, Mi-chan, it's okay! Stay behind me if you're feeling uncomfortable," Naruto reassured her. Naomi nodded in response and stayed close to her brother as they found seats in the middle row on the right side of the class. Despite her reserved and quiet nature, Naomi remained highly observant. She listened and watched, keenly absorbing the dynamics of the room. Her gaze moved across her classmates, taking note of details such as the pink-haired girl who seemed inseparable from the blond girl, the drowsy student with a spiky ponytail engaged in conversation with a chubby, brown-haired boy.

Suddenly, someone commanded her attention, an effect that seemed to ripple through all the girls in the room. A figure entered the class exuding confidence, capturing everyone's gaze. In that moment, her blue eyes locked onto his onyx ones. "Sasuke," she whispered, her voice a soft recognition of her friend. Sasuke responded with a faint smile, a greeting meant solely for her. Among all the people, she was the one he held a special fondness for. He decided to settle into the seat next to her by the window.

As Sasuke made his way toward his seat, Naruto's gaze shifted between his sister and the newcomer, curiosity evident in his expression. "Sas who?" he inquired, intrigued by the mention of the unfamiliar name. "It's Sasuke, nii-chan! The one who saved me a year ago!" Naomi replied with palpable excitement. However, Naruto's reaction was less enthusiastic. "Well, Mi-chan, Sasuke looks like a prick!" he retorted, clearly displeased that his sister's attention had turned to the new boy.

"Nii-chan! He's the one I told you about! The friend I've been visiting!" Naomi whispered urgently to her brother, hoping to clarify the situation.

Unenthusiastic about the idea of his sister showing favoritism toward Sasuke, Naruto sulked, his response laced with jealousy. "Well, I bet I'm better than him!" he asserted, wanting to regain his sister's attention. Naomi's giggles cut through the tension, and she reassured him, "Well, of course you are, nii-chan! You're clearly the best!" Naruto's smile returned, beaming brightly and proudly at her words.