XXXVI

Whole

"The red string might get tangled, contracted or stretched as surely often happens, but it can never break for once you have been tied by the red string, you are bound to always find a way to each other's embrace"

Deidara returned to his cabin with a sense of defeat weighing heavily on him. Anger and frustration bubbled within him, yet he knew he had to keep a clear mind in order to formulate a rescue plan for Naomi. As he stepped into his cabin, he was taken aback to find two figures seated on his sofa, waiting patiently. "Senpai, there you are!" Tobi exclaimed, jumping up to greet his supposed mentor with open arms. However, Deidara's attention was drawn to the other figure who sat calmly beside Tobi.

"Let's not waste time. I've come to collect on the end of our deal," the man stated with a calm authority. Deidara's surprise was evident as he recognized the person before him. "Akihiko?" he muttered, slightly evading Tobi's enthusiastic welcome. Akihiko calmly rose from the sofa and approached Deidara.

 Akihiko calmly rose from the sofa and approached Deidara

"I handed her over to you as agreed upon in our deal. The Akatsuki was meant to extract the tailed beast from her so they could use it to nullify the curses imposed by the demon," Akihiko's cold eyes bore into Deidara's, his words laced with a sense of disappointment. "But it appears that you've grown attached to the fox as well," he added, his voice tinged with a hint of disdain, scrutinizing Deidara's expression. Deidara averted his gaze, not out of guilt or remorse, but because he understood the power Akihiko possessed – the ability to disrupt one's chakra with a mere look.

"Senpai! Here's the burning question: Where is the white fox now? Surely you're clever enough to have hidden her away for us to retrieve later, right?" Tobi's friendly tone held a subtle layer of dark sarcasm, though he still maintained his usual amicable demeanor. Deidara's gaze shot in Tobi's direction, a silent reprimand evident in his eyes. "This guy suddenly shows up, demanding the end of our secretive deal – a deal that I'm fairly certain even the other Akatsuki members are unaware of. According to his information, you're now responsible for the white fox. So, where is she, senpai?" Deidara's frustration was palpable as he exchanged glances with Tobi.

Deidara held his silence for a moment, contemplating his response. "If you continue to withhold information, we might conclude that you've been colluding against the Akatsuki," Akihiko warned, his tone a strange blend of seriousness and Tobi's characteristic childlike innocence. Deidara's frustration only grew, realizing that silence was not an option. He finally spoke up, revealing the truth. "She was taken by Sasuke," he admitted, causing both Akihiko and Tobi to react with astonishment. "You lost her to him!?" Akihiko's voice rose in a mix of anger and disbelief.

Tobi, attempting to defuse the tension, chimed in, "Let's all take a deep breath and calm down. I'm sure Senpai didn't intend to lose the fox. Even though he often acts without thinking, I believe this situation wasn't intentional." Despite his attempt at soothing the situation, Tobi couldn't hide his irritation. Deidara, gathering his resolve, looked Akihiko directly in the eyes. "I'm going to get her back," he declared, his voice filled with determination.