End of the Mimban war

Start from the beginning

''Sir, yes sir.'' they said and got their armor muddied. They were one with the environment and as AT-DTs rained fire while being out of enemy artillery range, the special team crawled to the enemy line. Sargent Kassus and his team crawled through the mud, debris of vehicles and corpses of imperial troopers. One of them, a sniper, pointed his rifle and shot one Mimbanese dead. They continued approaching and took cover behind the boulders. The insurgents realized that there were imperial troopers sneaking up on them. ''Fire in the hole!'' sargent Kassus shouted as he planted a grenade at the barbed wire. They got out as it exploded and another trooper threw several more grenades from his fallen comrades. ''Let's move!'' he said and the team started going up the hill. Imperial artillery did it's best to provide cover and the team reached the insurgents. They threw a grenade which took out two of them and they reached over the wall defenses, blasting through enemies and setting one of the bunkers on fire.

''An opening. Finally, an opening!'' I said with slight happiness. ''Troopers, forward!'' I ordered and the soldiers charged to get to the opening that was made and with one less bunker to worry about, vehicles too started moving. We got up the hill and fought the Mimbanese insurgents there. There were trenches there and we walked to defeat the insurgents. Mimbanese insurgents came out, holding their arms up in surrender but were blasted by the stormtroopers. Flame troopers came in and burned some of them and the whole fortification line was taken. With a better plan than simply charging head on, I won another battle in the war.

''We lost eighteen soldiers, sir.'' a trooper reported to me. ''The colonel however lost over five hundred and fifty in the failed first assault. Along with four AT-STs, six tanks and six AT-DTs.''

''Get the wounded patched up and inform high command of our victory.'' I ordered and the trooper left. ''How long has it been since we landed on Mimban anyways? Hard to tell time given how bleak and dark this planet is.''

''Roughly three days, sir.'' a trooper answered.

''Three huh?'' I muttered. ''Bagra River bridge and then the Khakeen Sol pass battle. My first victories in this war.'' I said, to no one in particular, and continued reading the reports.

''Sir, we have reports indicating that the enemy is gathering up at a nearby mountain pass.'' the trooper informed me.

''How many?''

''About a brigade.'' the trooper answered. That was five thousand soldiers. I had like... only two hundred and fifty men available.

''Give me a skematic of the terrain.'' I said and the trooper showed me the place with a data pad. ''They'll arrive in nine hours and the pass is only a thirty minute march from our position. No doubt that the brigade was sent in to reinforce this bunker line.'' I concluded. It seemed like the most plausible thing. I had time on my side and with captured weapons, I can fortify the place and work it to my advantage. ''Trooper, order the troops to be ready to move out. Call in the other commanders to come in now.''

''Yes sir.'' the trooper said and walked out. In three minutes, Gary, Kassus and other sergants and one lieutenant came in.

''A brigade is enroute to our position, most likely to reinforce the insurgents before we finished them.'' I informed them. ''Here's what we'll do, gentlemen. We'll prepare fortifications and mines and attack them. I want heavy repeating blaster nests stationed in these four positions, AT-DTs stationed in two lines and sniper posts here, here and here. We'll take the fight to them.''

''Sir, are we not low on ammo?'' a sargent asked.

''The deceased Mimbanese blasters and mortars should suffice till our supplies can come. You have your orders. Let's move it.'' I said and we moved out to prepare the lines and fortifications. It was a slaughter for the Mimbanese and we pursued them.
______________________________________