(18)

The Original Bad Boy

Chapter Eighteen

I threw back the latest shot to be placed in front of me at the bar; it'd gotten to the point where it didn't sting to go down anymore, adding the slightest bit of vervain into every other shot I consumed.

The flow of it down my throat stung more with the alcohol, but at this moment in time I didn't care. They wanted to kill my best friend, another was god knows where, I didn't expect to return home to everyone singing ring-o-ring-o roses and they've all joined the peace core.

But not this, it's like they'd turned to violence as the first resort. I circled the top of the shot glass with my finger round and round and round again until I felt a presence in front of me. 

I lifted my head to acknowledge the person in question and sighed deeply, swinging my head back down.

"Unless you're going to refill my shot and grab me a glass of bourbon, can you please get out of my sight," I droned.

"Normally I'd have to object in order to keep my job, but on this occasion, I'll do you a solid," as I could hear the bottle open.

Hearing another glass placed down beside me and filled up with bourbon, the bottle left on the bar for me, I smirked at the gesture, if this was him waving a white flag, it was going the right direction.

"You could do me an even better solid," I suggested.

"If it's to ask for me to convince the others not to conspire against Klaus, then I can't help you," he shrugged.

"Thought it was worth a shot," I sniggered "Get it? Shot?" I said again as I pointed down to my now full shot glass. "Come on Matthew, where's your sense of humour gone in the past year, out the window with everyone else's?"

"There's a lot that happened you know,"

"Ahh, as Elena kept saying, I'm sure that it's nothing the Brady bunch couldn't conjure up a solution for," I joked, another swig going down a treat and a half.

"Don't be like that,"

"Its pretty hard not to be cynical about things after you've been around as long as I have,"

"Must've seen a hell of a lot though," he judged, probably on the fact that I'm almost two centuries old.

"Yeah, some things twice over too," I recalled all of my memories of both bad and good I'd seen over the years. "This can't be all you're doing at the moment, not to be bluntly rude or anything Matthew,"

"Actually I've been roped into helping and organizing the school dance,"

"Oh my god, are they really still having those things? Whats the dire theme this time? Big cheese in the city?" I laughed. 

"1920's decade dance, should be interesting, and by that I mean better than the last one we had,"

"If she's still into playing human, Rebekah would be great, I mean she actually lived during those times," I suggested.

"She's planning as we speak, keeping her mind off of other things," he hedged that comment pretty quickly, not going unnoticed though.

"Please tell me Rebekah and Caroline are fighting like cat and dog for prim position of head organisational champion," I begged to know of this information, it was a show I'd be willing to pay per view. 

"Is head organisational champion really a thing?"

"According to Caroline it is, she came up with it one year, she said she needed a title, she made a badge and sash and everything, back when she was without fangs," I did like fang impressions with my fingers but it didn't do them justice.