SIXTY - ONE

Varmohin, Kamakshya

The quest to Kamakshya at a say seemed easy but it almost took Dhruva's life and leaving Parthiban stranded in an unknown town before the latter found the former.

A group of four had left Durja in a ratha vimana enroute to the closest border in Haridra. Flying their ratha vimana in Kamakshya's air space might not be the right choice hence, leaving them no choice but to continue on horseback from Haridra's north east border.

Varmohin was once a city the Kamakians called it their capital, bustled with people from all parts of Kamakshya, Varmohin accommodated them with variety of jobs and living opportunities. After a mass execution of Tromodh, a name identified as one among the beholder of special divine powers, the capital city had been moved to further east.

Now, it was a deserted place with not a soul living in Varmohin. Dhruva, Parthiban, Viswanathan and Sudarshan perambulated in the dress as the local wore; a woollen shirt with long sleeve under a thick blue overcoat, a knitted shawl around their neck and a thick cotton pants. Parthiban giggled, "this has to be my first time wearing these many layers."

"I bet there must be a better clothing than this," Viswanathan commented as he adjusted the shawl on his neck. "This is pretty uncomfortable. How are we to fight?" Frustrated, Viswanathan pulled the shawl off his neck and rolled it around his wrist.

"We won't be long here," Dhruva said as they stopped by a small stall for a quick breakfast.

They were a little away from their destination, stopped to feed themselves before heading to the soulless town the locals claimed. Fortunately, no one asked them the reason of their visit which only made them assume, people do passthrough the deserted city to get to places.

Through the locals they learned, Kamakshya was an oligarchy government. It was said the power of the nation rests with a group of elites and headed by a certain family called the Amenolis. The fifth generation of Amenolis had played a large part in conspiracy to eradicate the Tromodhs, in Varmohin. They had used an extensive amount of money to buy a few of Varhinsas, Bhariyolam, Gamshoni, Yamilvas and Dyuthi each to manipulate the people, turning their trust and faith on Tromodhs to fear and hate.

Slowly, the treachery of a few Tromodhs who were bought by the Amenolis had given the latter the title of saviour and the Tromodhs had given themselves into the deadly clutches of Amenolis. Now, govern by Amenolis, Kamakshya watches some Tromodhs living in hiding, some fled while many buried and continued to be executed on sight. The Lambodarans shivered as the locals storied them some horrified scenes the Amenolis's guards had inflicted on a Bharian, their latest catch.

"Oh, that's enough, sirrah. I can't hear it anymore," Viswanathan scrunched his face and placed both his hands on his ears.

"Why so cruel?" Parthiban asked as he sipped hot milk tea in a glass.

"Because they are dangerous. They can even harm us if we are not careful," short and hunched tea master said, his face hidden behind his hat.

Dangerous? Dhruva huffed. Had they been really dangerous, Achi Mangalam, Toisara and his friends would have come for their aid in a single call. Clearly whoever those Amenolis were, have brainwashed these naïve people to fear for Tromodhs. However, he had no much time to hear stories of Kamakians for he had much more important task at hand. Dhruva gulped his remaining tea.

"We should leave," Dhruva said.

"Where you heading?" The tea master asked.

As they were advised, Parthiban mentioned a small village right next to Varmohin to avoid gaining curiosity of the people.