FIFTY-EIGHT

MAHINA, DURJA

Usually on such weather, she often loved to bask in its warmth but today the sunlight brought flutter of anger on her skin as she dragged herself to SuryaKanthi Sabha, with Ramani by her side holding her from falling. Nakshathra was a load of confusion mixed with rage. She didn't know why she was heading there but Nakshathra wanted nothing but vent out her anger, her frustration and her devastation.

As she ascended the steps to SuryaKanthi, she hissed through her teeth in sudden pain. Nakshathra's hand reached for her abdomen where the throbbing pain twisted her inside like needle pricks. Tears pooled into her eyes as spasm of pain pitched through her.

"I think we should go back, Yuvarani." Ramani held her tight as she sat on the steps.

"No, Ramani. I need to talk to her. Just give me a minute." Nakshathra wiped the tears off and checked for her pulse, for a long while. It was only after she was satisfied did, she rose back to her feet and staggered her way in and pounded on the door of the queen's chamber.

Nakshathra's patience ran low when she heard no response from the other side. "Did you check with the workers, she is back from the main palace, right?"

"Yes, Your Highness. Her footwear is also here. She is definitely in there," Ramani replied.

"Fine, then open the door," she instructed, firmly.

Ramani nodded and pushed the large wooden door open. At the end of the room stood Kumudhavalli. The woman who conspired a death, became the queen of Durja who then disguised herself as Alli, joined hands with Ranganathan, abducted thousands of men to weaken Kavish's army and finally lured Nakshathra into her lair.

"Well done," was what Nakshathra had to tell her first. "You have done well for the past two decades, I would say. I am amazed with your consistency."

"What do you mean? Why are you here?" Kumudhavalli asked. Her face scrunched irritably at the unannounced visit.

"I mean your time to have fun is coming to an end, Alli," Nakshathra said it with disgust and leaned against the doorframe. Too many incidents and stories riled up in her, criss-crossing her own thoughts. Nakshathra seemed to have no control over her tongue. "How did you get close to Queen Brinda? Befriend her. Eyed for her husband. Plotted her death. Showered motherly love on her son. And finally became the new queen of Durja. How?" The rage she had been hiding in her each time Kumudhavalli crossed her path had found its way out. Nakshathra could no longer give the chance to her to live in peace.

Kumudhavalli stared in bewilderment, she found no words to counter Nakshathra. Her eyes searching, perhaps searching for an answer or something to venomous to say. Kumudhavalli's chest rose and fell rapidly. She opened her mouth but spoke incoherently.

Nakshathra completely ignored her and continued regardless of the response she received. "You then tried to misuse the power but received backlashes from the people for the way you treated little Dhruva. Then came Alli, the other version of you." Nakshathra stopped to catch her breath. Ramani held her by her shoulders and helped her stand straight. "What you did after, you and I know and I need no explanations from you but just one thing.

"You had so many chances to take my life... even in Gupagam forest, I was merely inches away from you but ... why? Why you wanted to bring me here as Dhruva's wife?"

A while in a daze, Kumudhavalli regained her composure. Of course, there were no need for concealing her true identity any longer. Its all in the open now. A sinister smile plastered on her face, she hissed, "so, I could get rid of you both at once."

Nakshathra's knees grew weaker, she held on to the doorframe. "You wanted to get rid of Dhruva too? What kind of a mother, are you?" She chided.

"Oh, why wouldn't I? I have been doing my best for my children and securing the throne for Prithvi is my prime goal apart from destroying your family's peace." Alli rolled her eyes.