S I X

Procession to Mount Gaja

Pilgrimage to Mount Gaja was a slow yet immensely venerated procession from Kavish. About a quarter of the kingdom's citizens had joined the procession to go with the Ganesha murti to Mount Gaja. Throughout the journey, it had been clouds of red and yellow powder as the worshippers threw turmeric and vermillion to mark the celebration, all the while with showers of flowers and a never-ending song of devotion.

The procession was headed by the crown prince, Yuvaraja Nakul Heramba, and general Pasupathi with his fifty cavalry behind them. Followed by the chariot carrying the massive Ganesha statue of which hundreds of worshipers gathered pulled the rope of the chariot. The worshippers took turn to pull the chariot despite the presences of designated workforce by the palace. Although there was no compulsion imposed to the citizen of Kavish, they do it as a vocation for their devotion.

Meanwhile, at the end of the procession on horsebacks were Rajkumar Parthiban, Rajkumar Nathan and Rajakumari Nakshathra with a hundred infantry and a hundred cavalry sandwiching the citizens for protection. While the children of the royal family accompanied their people on foot and horseback, the king, the queen and wives of the princes travelled in Ratha Vimana, a flying chariot invented by the engineers from Takash kingdom.

The fourteen-day procession from Kavish to Mount Gaja had been a long and an arduous journey. Although the worshippers decline any additional day to rest, the crown prince had ordered for camps to be raised enough for everyone to rest for another night. For a journey that demands energy and stamina, Nakul was praised for his consideration and thoughtfulness.

As the night fall, the folks of Kavish gathered up in groups to share many of their divine encounters and stories that has been passed down for generation around the campfires. One of the stories revolved around the very temple they were to visit the next day. Legend has it that the Neer Gaja temple up the hill rests in a mysteriously flowing water pool. The water was said to have healing power on those who drinks it. It was also believed that the effect of the water only works on the hill and if taken away from the hill the water will no longer have its effect.

While numerous stories were narrated in various groups, two entities excused themselves from the camping ground and headed towards a place distant from the gathering. Nathan had pulled out Parthiban from the general's circle to share a report that reached him.

"I received a message before we left the city gate. The number of missing people is increasing and I doubt it's them," said Nathan, his voice sounded resolute on the suspect.

"Let's not make any assumption, Nathan. We need to investigate. How many of them are missing? Where and when? How long has it been?" asked the pragmatic Parthiban. Being the Chief of Law and Police of Kavish, it was his responsibility to make sure the safety of his people and with the increasing number of disappearance cases being reported every fortnight has begun to worry him more than he showed. Despite him having doubts as his brother that they might have been abducted by their foe kingdom, Parthiban chose to stand by his duty than his intuition.

"I couldn't get all that information. I'll send someone." The young prince held on to the hilt of his sword on alert to strike if there were an ambush to happen.

"No. Maybe I should go back and see to it myself," Parthiban intervened.

Nathan stopped on his track. "Have you forgotten? Madhuvahini will be waiting for us and you are talking about going back? If she finds you not there, she is going to make sure you don't get to see her the coming year or if you happen to meet her. She is for sure to strike you with the same techniques you have thought her," he said and settled on the riverbank of clear water glimmering under the moonlight that runs along smooth and enormous stones.