FIFTY-ONE

Sikva, capital city of Kavish

Under an emergency situation, the guards of the water and coast have been trained to make quick measures for the people's safety while a message be sent to the palace. In the years of enmity with Durja, it had given them enough time for Kavish's military intelligence to come up with possible attack routes and solution; the water invasion was one of it.

Emergency orders were clear, 'at any given time, when unidentified foreign ships spotted heading to Kavish, the guards on the water are responsible to send immediate alert to the guards on shore. Thus follows an evacuation of the people to the city without delay.'

By the time the princes received the news, a large number of fleets were already making its way to Kavish and half of the coastal residence were on their way to the city. Nathan departed at once to the coast to join his Water Watchers division at Vajnir while Nakul and Parthiban prepared for emergency assembly with the King, Chief General, War Strategist and Military Officers.

Reports on the number of armies of unidentified troop from the Southern and Eastern Aker Tower came in and they were clearly outnumbered by double the strength of Kavish. In two days, the foreigners had captured a quarter of southeast of Kavish and it was a matter of time before they reach the city. The palace was running behind time and the concerning number against them seemed unmatched.

Using their resources wisely, they segregated their armies into three layers with equal number; the outer, middle and inner, sandwiching each layer with cavalry and their small number of elephant troop. "We have no much time to think of better strategy. This is the best we could arrange. Everyone, go to your stations. I'm going to the tower to check if we can identify who they are." Nakul stepped out with metal body armour and his sword in his hand along with a group of crown prince guards following him.

At the Aker Tower, Nakul scanned the troops through a telescope. The armies marched into the city held flags in the colour of a clear sky with an axe and trident arranged horizontally parallel to each other. "Shoolin," he murmured. "These are armies of Shoolin, what are they doing here?" Invasion? Nakul trembled at the unexpected turn of event but he calmed himself and looked through the telescope to locate the leader of the troop.

In the centre between the cavalry, Ranganathan led the troop on a white beast; heavily built with greying hair. "So, he finally came back for his revenge and Shoolin backing him?" Nakul strode to the stairs and headed straight to where Ranganathan was heading.

In the open ground and in the lanes between the houses, the armies took their spots to defend their city. A loud roar of battle cry boomed from the opponent as they charged towards the Kavish's human shield. The infantry advanced, pushing the Shoolins hard with their shields and spears. The first layer infantry's effort bought them enough time to evacuate remaining citizen in the city into the secure walls of the palace.

Elephants trumpeted, the clashing of metal against metal, the screams of soldiers and the thundering of hooves amplified. Clouds of sand rose on their wake. The first layer of infantry shield further down the row had begun charging, Parthiban must have led part of them, Nakul thought as he reigned his horse to gallop as fast as the beast can. In comparison to an actual battle ground, this was a tricky place to fight especially with houses in between. The soldiers had to rely on their instinct at places where the orders of their leaders were not seen nor heard. The atmosphere turned overwhelming and disorientated; Nakul prayed they don't lose their focus against the Shoolin as he tuned his focus to search for the man leading the Shoolin army.

Battle cry against battle cry. Sword met sword. Blood for blood. The brothers charged through opponent's infantry troop. Their weapons drawn. Each slicing the neck of the Shoolin armies in smooth swings toppling them in seconds. Yet the further they rode, the longer they fought and the more the Shoolins emerged. The clash of swords continued to echo through the air as they engaged in combats dismounting from their horses.