ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ | ᴛᴏᴘꜱʏ ᴛᴜʀᴠʏ ᴜᴘꜱɪᴅᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ

"Every adventure requires a first step."

—♢♡♧♤—

"Where are we going?" Mirana questioned the pirate when they were far enough away from the palace that she could no longer see it.

"I told you—the Jolly Roger." Killian avoided her question, pushing the young-looking girl through the forest.

"Yeah, but where is the Jolly Roger headed once we're on it?"

Killian tightened his hold on Mirana's arm and rolled his eyes. He had no choice but to tell her the truth. He stared straight ahead, his eyes purposely not trailing over the small girl, "To Storybrooke. Well, technically..."

"Yes?" Mirana watched the pirate, raising her eyebrows as she questioned him.

"I'll tell you when we reach Storybrooke." If Mirana had heard of Captain Hook and read about him, she would know the name of the person they were heading to. Killian didn't know if what she had read was the truth, but if it happened to be, then she wouldn't want to see him—under any circumstances. Killian didn't want to go, but he knew he had to.

If he found out she was there too early in their quest, their plan wouldn't work. The pirate had to get Mirana there quickly and quietly, hiding her away until it was time. If they acted too early, Mirana would never return to Underland. That's why Iracebeth had been so worried—that's why Killian kept glancing at the girl as if to know she was still there.

Mirana shut her mouth, narrowing her eyes as the pair approached the Jolly Roger. How were they going to leave Underland in that? Mirana only knew one way to leave Underland—through the looking glass. She looked at the pirate in suspicion. She was about to speak, but Killian cut her off.

"Hurry up—the portal is going to close if we don't," the pirate shoved her up the stairs to the ship. "All we need now is to be stuck in Underland."

"What do you mean?" Killian pushed Mirana to the helm and sat her near it. He took hold of the wheel and spun it before going around to man other parts of the ship. Mirana watched the pirate. He was attractive if Mirana was allowed to admit it—but he was at least ten years older than her. Outside of Underland, at least. However, according to her life in Underland, she was older than the pirate by at least a few hundred years.

Before she knew it, the ship rocked forward and started twisting away from the shores of Underland. The wind picked up and seemed to be swirling around Mirana, lifting her white locks of hair into a jumbled mess. Was the portal in the air—or was it the sea in which the portal resided? Mirana stood to get a better look as Killian raced to the helm.

As he did, he hissed at Mirana, "Sit! Do you want to lose your head?"

The White Queen giggled, "I already have."

But Mirana did what Killian instructed her to do. She gripped the wall and closed her eyes as the wind increased speed. Then Mirana heard a little squeak—known to her all too well. She opened her eyes, glimpsing the white fur that poked out of a barrel. Careful to have a hand gripped onto the ship, Mirana made her way over to the barrel. She peeked inside it to find a ball of white fur. She reached inside and petted the creature, earning a whine in response. Mirana smiled. So, her older sister had not forgotten about her completely.

"Nivens!" the White Queen exclaimed, grasping the White Rabbit. She brought him into her lap, showing a bright smile. "How great to see you!"

The rabbit responded by gripping onto Mirana. She hugged Nivens to her chest and closed her eyes as if it would keep her safe, being in the dark. The ship spun around and around until it seemed to be still, with how fast it was. Mirana kept her eyes shut, willing the spinning to stop. A surprise to her, her wish seemed to work. The ship started to slow, and Mirana could hear Killian's voice in the background. However, what he was trying to say was beyond Mirana's understanding.