(36)

Leaving the confines of my office, I step into the hushed corridors of my palace. The flickering torches line the walls, casting a warm light that contrasts with the cool, polished marble underfoot. The air carries the scent of parchment and ink, remnants of the documents I've been poring over so much that the smell follows me even outside of the room.

As I walk, my steps are measured and with purpose. The estate's interior is a labyrinth of confusion that i've come to memorise as of late. Whilst i had to focus at first and use my memories, now i walk through the halls based on pure instinct alone. It leaves my mind open for other tasks in the meantime.

My thoughts turn briefly to Six, who is currently tending to Solaris.

In the month since my little sister has become a part of my life, I've had the privilege of witnessing the slow blossoming of the young girl. Solaris, once a reserved and reticent presence, has begun to unfurl more and more, revealing glimpses of her personality that were hidden beneath layers of shyness.

Her transformation I've noted, is delicate, like the opening of a flower's petals in the warmth of the sun. Each day brings a new facet of her character to light, a tentative step forward into the world around her. When she took the first most important step, the rest came a lot easier. However, there is still a fragility to her journey, a vulnerability that she's beginning to trust with those around her.

She's hesitant to almost everything, especially the good I try to do for her. But nonetheless, in the quieter moments, when we're together in the garden or sharing a meal, I notice the subtle shifts in her behaviour. Her smiles, once rare, have become more frequent, lighting up her face like a gentle sunrise. Her laughter, though still soft and minimal, is a melody that hints at the joy she's beginning to find in her new surroundings.

I don't feel pleased when I notice her attempts to some times remain cautious, her interactions marked by a careful consideration of her words and actions. She shouldn't have to behave like that, but there's no point fighting something i can't control.

The most i can do from now is make sure she realises along the way that i'll always protect her and she doesn't need to be guarded. That she can experience childhood, hopefully before it's too late. Her behaviour, i see it as only one thing. A reminder that trust is something that's earned over time, not freely given.

Six on the other end, has taken to educating her in as many topics as possible and being her governess of sorts. She's proving everyday how keeping her with me is the correct choice.

She's an integral part of everything. Her mind's library is useful in more situations than less. And in this case, her intervention and help with Solaris is highly appreciated.

As I exit the main building, I immediately walk into a garden outside. The air is crisp and carries the scent of blooming flowers, flowing as i quickly walk passed them.

I clench the hilt of the sword at my hip. An unconscious habit I seem to be displaying.

The garden's tranquility envelops me as I make my way through the carved paths, my steps guided by the anticipation of a simple lunch shared with Six and Solaris. The gentle rustle of leaves and the distant chirping of birds create a soothing symphony that contrasts with the bustling world beyond the manor's walls.

But just as I'm lost in the serenity of the surroundings, my gaze is drawn to an unexpected figure.

I stop before taking another stride.

There, amidst the blooms and the soft sunlight filtering through the trees, stands Prince Alister. Our eyes lock instantly.

Our silence lasts but a second before he speaks. "My lady?"