43. Poppet

"I don't know, Matty... You really think I should go?" I asked uneasily as I fiddled with the edge of his shirt. I'd raided his closet this time for my going-out outfit and settled on a vintage jersey that seemed quite precious to Matty- he chattered excitedly about finding the rare jersey of his favourite football team on a vintage reseller website for a good deal, and when I'd put it on, he froze midsentence, then sighed happily before launching into a stream of compliments. After I got out of the shower, I tugged it on over a fitted pair of his black boxer briefs which, peeking out from under the jersey, looked just like a regular pair of cotton shorts. Considering how predictable and territorial (albeit endearing) of a man he was, I'd figured that there was no way Matty could fuss over my outfit if I was wearing all of his clothes- and I was right. He looked so proud when I finally slipped back into his view in my completed outfit. I'd left my hair down in its curly shag and slipped on the pair of black knee-high boots I was thrilled to have realized I left at Matty's last week, then quickly threw on a subtle brown smokey eye to finish it all off.

"Yes. I really do," Matty reassured me with gentle firmness. He'd spent the last half hour talking me out of bailing on Juliette tonight. Even though I'd had a lot of fun last night, I still felt uneasy about integrating myself into a group of girls- even if I really liked one of them. Juliette made me feel comfortable being myself, and it took Matty reminding me that multiple times to get to this point.

When I didn't respond, he cocked his head to the side before offering me a little smile.

"Besides, what would you do if you didn't go?" Matty asked.

"Beg you to Facetime me for the whole concert?" I offered miserably.

Matty chuckled.

"Even if I did that, I'm getting on a flight right after- remember? And as much as I'd like to keep you company- oh no, not that gorgeous pout again," he said sadly at my now protruding lower lip. "You know you'll have fun, darling, you just need a little push out the door!" He offered comfortingly.

"Yeah, you're right..." I conceded. I inhaled deeply and sighed heavily as I returned to fiddling with the hem of Matty's shirt.

I watched as Matty turned to the voice that called his name in the background, then nod before turning back to smile at me sorely.

"I've got to go, love," he said regrettably, his eyes full of sadness. "Show's starting."

"Okay..." I responded in a small voice. I didn't want to go, and I especially didn't want to end this phone call.

We sat in silence for a minute and I tried my best not to cry like the baby I felt I was in that moment.

"Did I tell you how sexy you look?" Matty said with a cheeky half-smile, some of his familiar sparkle returning to his eyes.

"Not too sexy?" I asked jokingly, my uncertainty present in my voice.

"No," Matty said sweetly with a warm smile. "Just enough."

We spent too long saying goodbye and staring wistfully at each other, the call only ending when George started smacking the top of Matty's head over and over and Matty finally gave in out of annoyance.

"Text me whenever you want and I'll call you after I get off stage if you'd like," he said, his eyes tender amidst his winces from the rhythmic smacks from George's hands.

"Yes please," I nodded. "And fuck off George, if you're jealous of my attention you can just ask for it," I added teasingly in an effort to get him to stop hitting Matty.

"Not gonna work on me, love! We've gotta go! Say bye Anna!" He grinned down at me widely as he used his free hand to wave goodbye. I caught Matty rolling his eyes before he smiled at me one last time.