X

Devoreaux P.O.V
I walked into the building that I'd been working so hard on with one thing on my mind. Well a few things actually, but this was most important.

Od was unhappy and as much as k tried to make him happy it didn't work. He didn't like it when I left for work or when I hung out with other people that weren't him. I didn't understand where this clinginess was coming from. I give him love and attention all the time, but it's time to do something I want I can't.

I would hate to call him selfish because, at the same time, I know a lot of this stems from him being autistic, but the way he has me feeling like I can do anything without him being there or breathing down my back is a lot. I don't mind it most of the time, but I'm in working mode I just want to work. I just want to provide for my family and I'm not complaining, but I've given up a lot for him. I thought he would do the same when he saw how much I wanted this, but I guess not.

I only needed a few more months to finish this, but I guess not. What he wants he gets.

My mother said I was going to end up resenting him, but I can't. I just don't feel resentment toward him even though he's basically telling me to give up on my dreams. It's crazy he doesn't know I can have more than one dream which I do. I only needed more time.

It doesn't matter now though.

"Hey, Mr. Peters, Can we talk?" I asked him as I knocked on the door of his office.

"Of course son. How can I help you?" He asked me as I sighed.

"I'm giving up my place here and selling my portion of the building, the products, and everything else back. I'm pulling out," I told him as he looked at me confused.

"You're doing what? What happened to you wanting this so bad? What happened to you opening up that neurodivergent lab for children? You said you wanted a daycare that was inclusive and fought hard to make the whole building more neurodivergent-friendly. Even your sandwich bar was about to be built here. You said you wanted this so bad that you even put up your money for the extra stuff needed to make this a more inclusive living space for everyone. Didn't you say your husband would be excited and so would your son?" He asked me as I nodded my head.

"Yea I know, but me working so much has caused a problem in my relationship and I won't have a husband to show this to if I don't leave now," I told him as he sighed.

"Son, you were the main person fighting for this and making sure that not only was this place friendly for people who are neurodivergent, but also people of color? You said you would handle the applications directly to make sure everyone had a fair chance at living here since no one else wanted to and you wanted to make sure that this place was equal for all," he told me as I agreed.

"I know sir, but I can't. My family needs me so I have to pull out. I have to. My husband is feeling abandoned and I can't have that so I'm going to quit now before he ends up divorcing me. I'm sorry sir, but I hope you can understand. I know I made a big fuss about having all of these different things to make my people feel safer and more comfortable here and argued with people about it just to pull out, but I really can't stay. I wish you all nothing, but the best, and I'm sorry I fought so hard for things to change just to drop out. I hope you under sir," I replied as he shook his head standing up.

"Look, maybe I can talk to Od and tr-,"

"Nah, he barely wants to talk to me. This is what I have to do to make him happy," I spoke as he sighed nodding his head.

"What about your new restaurants that are opening up in different states and the new ones here? Don't give up on your dreams. Maybe you should just talk to him. You have a good heart and a very good and creative eye. I would hate for it to go to waste," he said as I chuckled.