Chapter 18 - The End Of False Dmitry

The track to this song is:
Distortion - LXST CXNTURY

At this very moment, Kirill was sitting across from Dmitry in their office. Kirill had walked in, locked the door, and discreetly disconnected all cameras.

Kirill had spent a lot of time thinking about how Ari's chain could have possibly landed in Mia's hands. He remembered he foolishly kept it locked in the bottom drawer of his desk at home but he knew she couldn't have unlocked the drawer herself and also, why would she randomly go and snoop around his desk. No, she must have found it accidentally, somewhere where she could come across it easily.

After getting home that fateful day, he looked around the room they shared together and saw that two drawers had been left open. He looked around inside and then closed them, not finding anything of importance, this was just where they kept their watches and jewelry. He then walked over to his desk to see if the drawer had been broken into. No, it was locked, not tampered with. He unlocked it and saw that everything was the same as he had left it but the chain was obviously not there.

Kirill had spent the first week after the breakup in pure devastation. He wanted to die and he hoped that if he smoked non stop and ate nothing, his body would just turn off by itself. He constantly went over all of Mia's words in his head and every day he felt his heart rip open more and more.

He also consistently thought about the mystery of how the chain got in her hands. Someone must have given it to her or placed it where they knew she would find it, but who, no one entered his home besides her and him.

A look of anger and annoyance settled on Kirill's face. He knew he had to get rid of his partners and he knew that danger was close but he was tired. His sunshine and his life was taken out of him when Mia left and he could hardly find any strength in him to think clearly. He was tired of killing, tired of death, tired of keeping it all under control. He wondered how long he could live without her or if one day his heart would just stop. He saw no point in living without her.

He had told the maid not to bother him but the day that Mia went into the office, she suddenly showed up herself and said it was time to clean.
She was wiping dust off the furniture and Kirill asked while rolling up his sleeves, not looking at her,

"Melody? Did you clean the jewelry drawer last time?" He came to the conclusion that Mia had probably found the chain there, but how did it get in there?

"No, Mr. Kirill...I...I never touch your things." She said rather nervously which was a difference from how she always spoke.

"Mr. Kirill, I wanted to tell you last time, there is a bird's nest on the balcony, come, I will show you." She looked at him without her usual smile.

Kirill was annoyed and didn't want to go anywhere. He declined but she asked him again, this time more forcefully. He thought it was odd and his interest was piqued. He followed her out and she led him to the ledge with a beautiful view overlooking New York.

"Mr. Kirill. I have worked for you for two years. I like working here. You don't bother me and you always pay well and your girlfriend always treats me so nicely. She is very polite, God Bless her. Mr. Kirill, please don't be mad at me." She said all this quietly and looked at her hands. Kirill was staring at her waiting for more information and hoped his conclusions were wrong.

"Someone followed me home a few weeks ago and...and showed me a picture of my son," she started, gulping and sighing. "And they told me to do something and if I didn't...they would kill him." She quietly finished, tears filling her eyes, still looking ahead. "They knew everything about him, Mr. Kirill! They knew where he lived, where he worked and who his girlfriend was and where he even went grocery shopping." She was now wiping her tears but still looking straight.