Chapter 5 - Pinky Promise

A few days passed after Mia's hospital visit to Ari and it was now Friday, the day of her party. Every morning that she woke up after seeing Ari hooked up to all the hospital machines, barely breathing himself, his handsome face mangled beyond recognition, and his neck and chest severely bruised, she started the day off with tears.

She began to wonder if something was wrong with her. She felt so bad for Ari, an innocent young man who only gave her positive emotions and was always after her. Yet she couldn't stop thinking about and wanting Kirill, a rough man with a murky past who she barely knew.

She now only had one client, Mark had used his powers as owner to move all her clients temporarily to another agent while she looked after Kirill.

That was unprecedented and had never happened before but Mark was an incredible slime ball and he was drooling over the amount of commission this deal would rake in for the company and him. He told her in no uncertain terms that she was to spend all her time and energy on Kirill and find him the most expensive place, in fact maybe two or three.

Kirill on the other hand had all but disappeared. He didn't text or call, he did say he was going out of town, and responded to her emails with listings with one word answers. Finally, he emailed her on Friday morning and said he wants to spend the next day looking around town and different areas.

Mia's birthday evening started off somber because of Ari's condition. Carly knew him well and Viv had met him before. It was just not possible to have a fun night knowing your friend and coworker was almost comatose.

They settled for a dinner on the patio at a private club that Carly belonged to and another friend named Viki joined them. Viki was a good friend but not as close as Viv and Carly but they always went out all together. Viki ran her family's restaurant chains and always worked strange hours.

Expensive wine, delicious food, and gorgeous weather accompanied their evening.

"Hey girl, what's on your mind? Besides Ari of course. You've been so quiet and mysterious." Viv looked Mia straight in the face and interrogated.
Viv was a go getter, she liked expensive things, worked a crazy job as a stock broker and she always spoke her mind.

Mia sighed. Should she tell her group of friends about her mysterious new stranger client and how she felt about him or not worry them? At the same time, someone had to know.

"I met someone. Not like in that way, I have a new client, I don't know." She ended uncertainly, jumbling all her words. The look on all the girls' faces told her she didn't explain anything and they were waiting for her to continue.

"Uh huh" started Viv, "you have a new client. That's not too out of the ordinary. Is he like a movie star or something and you can't tell us who it is?"

"No, no, not like that." She stopped, not knowing how to continue. "He's this Russian guy with a ton of money...he made Mark switch all my existing clients to someone else so I could only work with him and everything about meeting him is strange and like, I dunno..." She really did not know how to put into words how she felt. "He's... he's not like everyone else. He's just very forward and challenging and...I don't know how to explain." Mia finally finished her train of thought.

All the girls stared at her, Viki was swirling wine in her glass while looking at her with caution.

"Is he coming onto you?" She inquired.

Is he? Or am I?

"No. Maybe. I'm not sure. He is just very bold and he plays with his words and I feel something. I feel something I shouldn't feel and I don't know why. Also I don't know him! And then! On top of all that, he somehow has my cell number, apparently someone shared it with him," Mia put air quotes around the word someone, "and he's just mysterious and I don't know anything about him, but I can't help it, I think...I think I'm just horny and he has the looks of a Greek God." she finished with a laugh.