Chapter 15 - Just Like You 🌶️

The track to this chapter is:
Сгораем дотла - TeeMur

Mia couldn't get Tamik's precise words out of her mind: they all looked just like you.

After work that day Mia decided she couldn't wait to find out the truth and called Kirill around 7pm and asked him to go to dinner with her and he happily obliged and dropped everything to take her out to a nice restaurant. Instead, she picked a place he'd never been to before. She wanted to be where he had no one around.

"Tell me about your mother." She suddenly asked in between courses. Kirill furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his arms. Her request came out of the blue and he was wondering why she was suddenly asking.

"My mother?" He asked.

"Yes." Mia responded sweetly. "We've been together for a bit and I don't know anything about her, so I wanted to know."

"She died when I was seven." Kirill answered and clearly was not planning to continue this conversation so Mia probed again.

"I'm sorry. How did she die?" She asked earnestly.

"Why are you asking me this?" Kirill was not happy with discussing his painful past.

"Ugh, Kirill, look, it's important to me. I want to know more about you and your past and childhood but you never talk about it and we never have time to discuss it what with all the sex and work." She finished, sounding frustrated.

"Yes...the sex is good." He smiled. Then he became serious, paused and sighed, and began,

"Her name was Irina and I loved her very much. She was lost in the forest when her and my dad went mushroom picking one day. My dad was an alcoholic, she was not, and he used to go pick mushrooms and sell them in the local towns to get money for another bottle. One day she never came back."

He paused and looked blankly at the table. "Then her body was found in the local river a few weeks later and we buried her in our village. One day when he was drunk, he let it slip that he was somehow responsible and I understood that he... he killed her." His speech was becoming more broken up, like he was trying to find the words to explain the calamity. "And I left home that day. My mother loved me and I loved her. She was gentle with a warm smile...and she loved to walk barefoot...She had a difficult life with my father but she was a light in the darkness. There is only so much you can do when your partner lives with addiction...The addiction takes first place and everything else comes last. Including your wife and child. She pleaded with him to stop and he made promises but he always relapsed within a few days or weeks. She was young, only 27 when she died." He finished and looked at Mia as if to say this was it, he said it all.

Mia sat there and looked at his green eyes thinking a mile a minute. She was taken aback by the sad story and she was trying to figure out if he was lying. She was calculating if someone like that would hold a grudge against all women. No, he wouldn't, but he could hold a grudge against the world and ruin many on his path.

"I'm so sorry, Kirill, that is a very sad story and childhood." She looked down on the table as the waiter came over to top up their waters. Once he was gone, Kirill leaned toward her and asked,

"Why are you suddenly asking me about my mom?" He looked at her seriously. Kirill felt like something was off tonight but he couldn't figure out what. Their conversation, which usually flowed easily, was strained and she was jumpy and anxious.

"I don't know...I-" she wasn't sure how to formulate her lie, "I was just curious. What happened to your dad?" She was genuinely curious to hear how this sad little story ended.

"I don't know." Kirill responded. "I never went back, never. He probably died from alcohol poisoning or burned the house down or something." He ended lifting up his hands as if to signify he really had no idea.