Chapter 17 - Survival

The track to this chapter is:
Die - KLY SKX

Mia moved in temporarily with Viv and after a week asked her to go grab some of her things at Kirill's house. Viv obliged and met Kirill in his home. She collected Mia's things and saw a broken man who no longer resembled the guy she met at Easter.

Kirill laid on the couch with his eyes open just staring at the ceiling. He had a cigarette burning in his mouth and an ashtray sat on the coffee table overflowing with cigarette butts. He had dark circles under his eyes, disheveled hair and a burgeoning beard.

Viv felt sorry for him. She didn't know any details of what had happened between them but she figured it must have been something very bad since he looked even worse than Mia. Although, Mia was not doing much better herself. She had spent the entire week in bed. She didn't eat anything, she barely drank, she only slept and cried. Her phone had died long ago and she didn't turn it on or charge it.

"Is she safe?" Kirill croaked when Viv was about to leave. He continued looking at the ceiling not even turning around to look at her.

Viv jumped from being startled by his voice. She hesitated because she felt like she shouldn't be the messenger in this situation.

"Yeah. She is safe. But if you're really asking if she's ok; no she's not." Viv felt that their feelings were so deep for each other that they should be able to work it out, no matter what it was.

Kirill said nothing. He closed his eyes and sighed.

"Ok, well, I'm going to go." Viv said and started to open the door when Kirill called out,

"He will come after her. Tell her to be careful. I can't monitor his every move but I'm trying. Just warn her." He sat up slowly to look at her and Viv was genuinely scared for him. He looked like a man who had risen from the dead. There was no colour in his face, his eyes were empty and his skin looked drab. He looked like he hadn't changed or eaten in days and overall had a look of pure devastation.

"Ok...who will come?" Viv asked, her curiosity getting the best of her. Kirill said nothing at first but then responded,

"She knows...the one who poisoned her mind against me." He looked blankly at the floor in front of Viv.

Viv was looking forward to getting out of there but she felt like there should be some sort of connection between them two since it seemed way more complicated than a regular break up. Viv turned serious and said,

"Look. I don't know what happened to you two and frankly, it's none of my business but if she's in danger you have to keep her safe, Kirill. Here is my card with my number if you can't reach her. If you need to get a message to her through me, do so. Don't fuck this up." She looked at him and dropped the card on the coffee table beside the ash tray.

Kirill said nothing, he just continued staring at the floor. Viv wondered if he had gone insane in a week and also if he had eaten or drank anything. She thought it was best to end it there and slowly walked out of the apartment shutting the door behind her.

The next day Viv almost physically dragged Mia out of bed. Emaciated and with puffy eyes, Mia sat there blankly. She was too tired to move and slowly laid back down.

"Ugh, man, come on, you can't stay in bed forever. Look, I know it's hard now but I promise it will get better." Viv said beginning to feel nervous that Mia might need to be spoon fed soon. "Come on. I'll help you shower and then we can go down for breakfast. Come on."

Mia sat on the edge of the bed staring at the wall. She felt so dizzy and her body hurt from lying down in bed so much. She slowly got up and with Viv's help reached the bathroom and walked in the shower that Viv turned on for her. She stayed there for a long time sitting on the floor and thinking of what to do next.