"Under the Assault offence, five requirements Must be proved. First: The accused must have, by bodily act or gesture, attempted or threatened to apply force of any kind to the person of another..." She went ahead to Explain to them what could render an accuse liable to the offence charged against him.

The assult may be Direct or Indirect Act. It may be direct where the accused himself or herself does any of the acts, such as touching the clothing of the victim or striking the victim with a fist, it is direct. Using guestures, the assault will be indirect if, for example, the accused drops oranges from a tree on a group of people discussing under the tree and the oranges hit or even missed the victims, or where the accused poured water on the victim.

She also went forward by explaining to them how an asssult must be unlawful that is if it is not justified, authorized or excused by the law. However, A person is also not criminally responsible for an act or omission in situation where he or she resist actual and unlawful violence  which is threatened again him or her or to another person in his presence.

"...and the last requirement, A person is also not criminally liable when he or she does an act or omits to do an act in order to save himself from immediate death or grievous harm threatened to be inflicted on him by persons present and who are able to execute the threat, and such person believes that he or she will be unable to escape the carrying of threat into execution." She elaborated the juries.

She looked at Mainuna knowing fully well that if she had retaliated, she would have been able to defend herself however, the case is different here.

"Also," she continues. "For the assault to be unlawful is without consent and my client Maimuna, here has not consented to any of these. Therefore, i would call on three witnesses who could testify that Mr Baffa has been assaulting his wife and that they have witnessed it with their own eyes, Maimuna Ado will tell us how and when she got assaulted by her husband, Mallam Alamin will tell you why those injuries where contrary to car accidents, miss Samantha will tell you how she witnessed Baffa beating his wife on the 7th of August."

Maimuna was mesmerised by Summayyah's performance, although she had known that summayyah has always been a string adamant and determined woman, so things like this won't be much problem to her and how much she had brokem down the summary of her problems, it made her want to cry at the moment but right now, she need to testify as a witness and listen to what her Witnesses will say.

"Mrs Maimuna, please step forward!" Summayyah called her as she stood up and was directed to stand at witnesses box and be questioned, she inhaled and exhaled sharply to ca her anxiety, she felt her body trembling from with in, she knew everyone is watching her yet she wonders what the questions could be? How is she going to answer it? What if she doesn't give a concrete evidence? Does she have to even testify? Her last thought drove her back to when Summayyah had told her that the trial will be taking place in few weeks, she was very excited that her days of suffering will come to cease.

'You will have to testify as a witness!" Summayyah said to her.

"What? But why? I thought we have enough witnesses already, they would be able to tell the court the truth won't they?"

Summayyah nodded. "They would, but i want you to testify, even if you would tell them how much he has been drinking and hurting you, you need to speak at least once to let go of your frustration. But mind you, do not cross the boundary, i will ask you few questions on that day and you should be able to answer them freely!"

"Mrs Maimuna!" Summayyah called out to her, drawing her back to reality as she jolted a bit, enough for summayyah to notice but Baffa saw that coming. He hissed inwardly. 'She's nothing but a scum. How will she be able to even talk in front of this many people?'

Summayyah gave her a reassuring nodded, guesturing her to calm down as she held up the paper infront of her. They were both standing at a far end before she started.

'You need to stay strong Maimuna, if you want to win'

"So um, ma'am would you please introduce yourself to the Memebed of the jury?"

Maimuna turned towards the jury. "My name is Maimuna Ado!"

"Mrs Maimuna, How old are you?"

"I am 18 years old."

Mrs Maimuna, would you please tell the memebers of the jury why you are here?"

"I am here b... Because my husband has been assaulting me and my children and i would want a legal separation!"

"Okay, Mrs Maimuna before we move into the process, i would ask you few questions about your husband. What does your husband do for a living?"

"He... He uh! He works as a black smith before and even after we got married and it wasn't really paying off that much!"

"And why doesn't it pay that much?"

"He drinks with the money, so i had to work and pay the bills in the house!"

"Mrs Maimuna, where do you and your husband live?"

"Its uh! Its not the best neighbourhood or a house to be precise and we dont even have much to repair the broken ceilings and complete the house."

"Would you mind telling the memebers of the jury about your problem with your husband?"

"It was two weeks after we got married, 27th march, 2019, i can never forget that day, he came home drunk and beat me, i begged him to please stop but he said, nothing is better than verging your anger on a living piss of shit!"

Baffa suddenly felt anger arising with in him, and uncertain. 'How dare she?'

"The day that your husband beats you to the verge of losing consciousness, could you tell the jury how the day started for you?"

She looked over the jury bench and started. "That day, it was so hot and we didn't have light because we have extended the time given to us to pay our bill so they disconnected the light, i don't have money with me and i didn't have food and Bello has been crying which Baffa had warned me that i won't go outside to ask for food from anyone!"

"Mrs Maimuna, you just mentioned Bello and who is Bello?"

"He is my 6 years old son!"

"Now, Mrs Maimuna, why did you lock the door at the time, when you knew your husband was not at home?"

"He beats me anytime he finds the door opened when he comes back?"

"Do you know why?"

"No?"

"How many children do you have?"

"I have two sons!"

Summayyah nodded. "Thank you Mrs Maimuna, no further questions at this time your honour!" Sumayyah said as Maimuna stood up and Returned to Her plaintiff table, she felt Baffa glaring at her but she needed to stand adamant, what she said was enough to find him liable of what he has been doing to her. She can not stay quiet anymore. She has been quiet for the past 6 years. that's so long.

A small smirk curled up her lips, enough for Baffa to see as his anger agitated, he wanted to storm to her and break her into pieces but he can't and he will never be able to.

He clenched his fist harder under the table as he cursed the very moment he agreed to get married to her and even let her work with Summayyah.

'If only i knew, i'd have killed you already!"
.
.
.

Hi!
Don't forget to vote and share with your friends.

The wait was worth it wasn't it?

Sayorana :)