𝑩𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝑭𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒔

Start from the beginning

"Keep me alive for the next six hours." Beetee quips back with a hint of humour in his voice. "That would be extremely helpful."

Dahlia snickers lightly at Beetee's request before assuring him, "I'm sure we can manage that."

All the group can do is waste time for a few hours, relaxing as much as they can before they have to abandon the beach. Katniss and Peeta have separated themselves from their allies, heading further up the sand to talk privately. Johanna and Beetee were having a civil conversation on the shore while Finnick and Dahlia messed about in the waves. The District Four boy was trying to teach her how to wield a trident but she wasn't taking to it as easily as she had with the sword.

"Stop laughing, Finn!" Dahlia reprimands the boy with feigned annoyance as he chuckles wholeheartedly at her pitiful attempts. His laughter was music to her ears, a welcome sound after so much hardships for the pair. So when his giggles refused to cease, she couldn't stop the adoring smile spreading on her lips.

Throwing the trident into the sand, Dahlia runs to Finnick and shoves him as harshly as she can. He is barely affected, only stumbling to the side, but he turns to her with a pretend look of offence. This time, it's Dahlia's infectious giggles reaching his ears as she sprints away through the waves. Finnick chases after her, much to the amusement of Johanna and Beetee. The two no longer seem like Hunger Games Victors, just two lovesick teens content enough with each other to let their guards down.

When Finnick manages to catch Dahlia, he is quick to grip her body and haul her over his shoulders. Dahlia lets out a yelp of surprise which soon dissolves into laughter as Finnick spins around. For a moment, they could fool themselves into thinking they were on the shores of District Four, illuminated by the warm glow of the sunset and completely free from the threat of the Careers. But all good things must come to an end.

Johanna, who'd been muttering complaints about now having two couples to deal with, calls out to both intimate pairs, "All right, lovebirds!"

It was time to put Beetee's plan into action. They cautiously headed back into the jungle, more aware of its dangers than when they had first entered. The tributes surveyed their surroundings diligently, constantly on the lookout for any ambush the Careers may have planned. Just as they were clambering up a rocky slope, the Panem anthem begins to play and makes everyone stop in their tracks.

Cashmere's face is the first to be displayed after Johanna had cut her down in the earlier attack. Gloss was next, Dahlia's blood boiling at the mere sight of the man. She should've made him suffer for what he did. Should've prolonged his death as long as possible, to make him feel the pain Dahlia felt when Alaric was taken from her. Alas, his face on that screen would have to do.

Wiress came afterwards, everyone in the group feeling saddened by her death. They wouldn't have known about the arena layout if it wasn't for her. And they were all so quick to shut her down, dismiss her as crazy. Dahlia knows all about being called mad, she should've known to look past the surface. Katniss' gentle and kind nature was the way she broke through. Maybe she was a better symbol for the Rebellion than Dahlia had initially thought.

Mags was next, Dahlia wordlessly slipping her hand into Finnick's to offer him comfort. He inhales sharply at the woman's courageous expression, knowing Mags had remained strong to the very end.

Then Finnick is the one to offer Dahlia support when Alaric's stern features were displayed next, squeezing her hand tightly. She willed herself not to cry or react to his face, needing to remain emotionally steady for her fellow allies. But the sight of her father staring down at her reminded Dahlia that he was always watching over her from above. He had always been proud of her, even in his last moments. Everything she would do from this point on would be for him, and for Finnick.