II

**PRESENT**

"Mer?" Oscar breathed.

The young man was shaking against the beach house, his legs pulled up to his chest, huddling in a ball. Oscar licked his lips, a lot of questions rolling around in his mind, but he didn't care. He walked under the small awning that covered the back porch, getting closer to the young man, but he flinched, pulling himself into a ball even more. Oscar was just trying to get out the rain and so he ignored him a little to wipe the water from his face and punch in the code for the door. Once the door was open, Oscar turned back and knelt in front of the young man at the door. There was no doubt who this was and even though he was confused, Oscar knew he had to convince him to get inside.

"Mer..."

The young man shot him a look through his turquoise hair, verifying he was who he was. Oscar smiled a little.

"Hey... We have to get inside, okay? You can't stay out here like this."

Mer just stared at him as thunder rumbled in the background, the rain starting to lighten up. Oscar ran his fingers through his black hair, unsure of what to do. Mer was watching him just as intensely as he had when Oscar had rescued him the very first time. The raw confusion and fear made a lump form in Oscar's throat, making him itch to grab a hold of his friend and shake him to tell him what's wrong. He could tell that whatever had landed him here was not by good means but he wouldn't get into Mer's business.

Eventually, Oscar stood up and moved a little closer, making Mer flinch and shiver even more as he curled himself into a tighter ball. Oscar didn't care this time and just put his arm under his legs and behind his back, lifting him up and carrying him bridal style into the house. At first, Mer tensed up, still a little confused, but then a familiar scent hit him and he relaxed. As he was carried through the beach house, things started to look familiar and the arms holding him were also familiar. He took a peek at who was carrying him but he didn't recognize who it was... but he smelled familiar.

"O...ker...?" he rasped.

The young man looked down at him and smiled.

"You can talk now?" he asked. Mer shook his head. There was a reason he could say Oscar's name now and not before, it's just he wasn't ready to go into that reasoning. "Doesn't really matter I guess. I still know sign language, so you don't have to push yourself."

Mer felt himself being lowered down onto something soft and Oscar left him there. As Oscar was leaving to go get some towels, Mer suddenly felt himself grabbing Oscar's hand. Oscar looked at him in confusion as Mer clung to his arm, trying to tell his friend with his eyes to not leave him. Oscar seemed to get the message and smiled.

"I'm just getting towels to dry us off, okay? I'm not going to leave you. I promise."

Mer gulped, but he let Oscar's arm go so that he could get them the towels. While he was doing that, Mer leaned over on the bed and curled up into a ball again. He was cold, confused, and not feeling good. His body felt like he was freezing and on fire at the same time. Oscar came back drying himself off with the towel and holding another one over his arm. He sat on the side of the bed and held out his hand to Mer.

"Here, sit up so I can dry you off."

Mer just looked at Oscar some more but finally inched his hand into Oscar's, allowing him to sit him up. Oscar unfolded the gray towel and started to wipe at Mer's face and then draped the towel over his hair and rubbed it. As he rubbed his hair dry, they were silent. Mer didn't mind because he was still reeling from what had just happened with him and the fact that the person in front of him was Oscar. It felt like it had been so long since they had seen each other but he knew it had only been about two years since their last encounter... Apparently two years did a lot...