Prologue

The rain pelted down, making it hard for Oscar to see to get to the door of the beach house. He fumbled with the keys and finally got inside, throwing the keys into the side table by the door and setting the bags he had in his hands down. He took off his soaked shirt and went to the laundry room to throw it in the basket, as well as his pants. He took off his shoes and slipped off his soaked socks. He made a face at how they felt and went to his room, grabbing a towel out of the hall closet on the way. He dried himself off and changed into dry clothing and took out his phone to see how the weather was going to be later that night.

"Hmm... looks like I might have a few hours in between storms..." he said to himself.

He went back to the front door and picked up the bags he had to abandon earlier, taking them to the dining room to unpack and sort. He bought groceries and art supplies. He was running out of all the blues in every medium and he found some interesting metallic colors to work with on his paintings. He also bought some plain moleskin to maybe do a little side project with that. He put all the art supplies in one bag to make one trip with and then put up his groceries. He was still getting used to the place actually being his after all these years of coming here with his family. He never thought he would get to have it all to himself...

After making a simple dinner, the rain seemed to stop and Oscar thought it would be a good time to take one last gander around before turning in for the night. He had gotten everything settled about two weeks ago and with this last trip, he had stocked the house with groceries. There was only one thing missing...

******************************************

Oscar opened the backdoor that led to the beach, the waves a little choppy due to the brewing storms, but the breeze was nice and warm. The breeze brought with it an electric scent that made him feel like it was beckoning him to walk along the dank sand. He welcomed it and donned his running shoes and a light rain jacket. He had been here too many times to know that although all was quiet and serene, it could get crazy really quick. There wasn't a lot of threats for hurricanes, which is why Oscar's father, Isaiah, had picked it out so long ago... but now it was all his.

Oscar made his way off the back porch of the beach house and through a small stone pathway to the sandy beach. When he hit the sand, he began to jog. It took him so long to be able to even like running, but he found that it helped him clear his mind and helped keep the weight off. It's been a while... I hope he recognizes me... he thought as he ran close to the water. He looked out and hoped to see a familiar face, a hint of bright turquoise or stark white.

**********************

After getting lost in thought and music, just as he expected, the rain started to pelt down about an hour after he had started running. That was one of the reasons he liked running as well: he could get lost in it. As he got closer to the beach house, the bottom seemed to fall out and became torrential like it had been when he had come home earlier. It was getting a little hard to see and he forgot to turn the back porch light on. Thunder crackled in the distance and lightning was really the only thing that was keeping Oscar on course to his home. A particularly threatening streak of lightning lit up the sky and Oscar stopped in his tracks. Thunder boomed loudly overhead as sheet lightning illuminated the sky behind a large cloud.

There it was again!

So Oscar wasn't imagining it...

Oscar started running back to the house even quicker, doubts and confusion going through his head. Just as he got to the porch, lightning and thunder sounded off at the same time and Oscar knew for sure he wasn't dreaming.

"Mer?"

++++++++++++++++++++++

so i decided to remake this because i didn't like how the other one was flowing. it felt very jerky and forced. so i'm taking a different approach. hope yall like it