Chapter 29: Emergency Room

Robin and Harley finally arrived at ACE Chemicals. The front gate had already been busted open. They rode into the grounds of the abandoned factory, making their way inside through a garage entrance on the side. Robin came to a stop sideways by the large vats of chemicals.

"Baby! Baby, where are you!" Harley called out for Casey, stepping off the back of the motorcycle. While she ran around looking for him, Robin got a call from Batman.

"Hello? Yes, we're at ACE Chemicals now. Where are you? ...mhmm...oh...alright...we're heading there now..." Robin ended the call, looking at Harley with a worried expression. She was running around so frantically. She was gonna hate to hear the news.

"Harley...Harley! They're not here! Batman already took Casey to the emergency room." He informed her. Harley stopped in her tracks, turning her head to look at him.

"The emergency room?! What did Joker do to him?!" She demanded, running up to him now.

"It's...Joker threw him into the chemical vat. Batman rushed him to the hospital as fast as he could. We don't know what the extent of the damage is yet." Robin explained.

"The extent of the damage?! Which hospital?! Get me there!" Harley jumped back on the motorcycle, pushing on Robin to get him to go.

"Alright. Hold on." Robin said before shifting gears and speeding back out of the factory.

Harley started hyperventilating on the back of the motorcycle. Her hands clung tight to Robin, but her whole body felt like jelly; she was so close to slipping off the side. She could feel it – she was definitely having a panic attack. But she needed to hold strong for just a little longer...

Until she could see Casey again.

After what felt like a short eternity, they arrived at Gotham General Hospital. Before the motorcycle had even come to a complete stop, Harley jumped off the side and ran to the entrance of the emergency room. She rushed right into the office.

"Where's Casey?! Where's my baby?! I need to see him!" She shouted, rushing into the halls and looking into every room.

"Whoa! Wait a minute! That's Harley Quinn!" A few cops who happened to be inside exclaimed, reaching for their guns when they saw her. They were all gathered near one room, which, to Harley, meant that Casey was likely inside.

"Is he there?! Can I see him?! Please?!" She begged.

"Don't come any closer! Put your hands where I can see 'em!" A cop ordered.

"That won't be necessary, officer," Batman said, stepping out of the room. "She's hear for the victim. Lower your weapons, please. This is a hospital." He reminded the officers. Harley quickly ran up to Batman, looking up at him with a worried expression.

"Batsy! Where's Casey?! Pleeease tell me he's alright!" She begged. Batman looked down at her, his face as stoic as ever.

"He's alive. The doctors are determining what condition he's in as we speak." He answered.

"Did he get any of those chemicals on him? Y-You know what they do to people." Harley asked, nervously wringing her hands together. She had a feeling she knew what the answer was, but she was still dreading to hear it.

"He was submerged in it for 30 seconds at most. Based on my quick analysis, it looks like he'll pull through. However, there's no determining what condition he'll be in when he wakes up." Batman explained.

"Until he wakes up...did he drown?" She questioned.

"He was awake when I pulled him out, but he wasn't responding to anything – just breathing and groaning." He answered honestly. Tears formed in Harley's eyes and she sniffled.