Chapter 28: Call Me!

The next few days passed by without incident. Harley and Casey returned to their jobs with Casey working during the day and Harley working late afternoons and evenings. He would get off of work, drive her to the studio, and then pick her up when she was done.

But he didn't pick her up tonight. He wasn't answering his phone.

"Come on...come on, baby, pick up..." Harley muttered under her breath, calling him a third time now. It went to voicemail again.

"You alright, Harlene? You look tense." Rain, one of the other models, walked over to her and placed her hands on Harley's shoulders. She looked at Harley with concern.

"Huh? Y-Yeah, I'm okay, just...my boyfriend ain't picking up his phone. He's supposed to be my ride." She explained, playing off her inner worry with a fake laugh.

"Ah, typical. You need a ride? I can drive you back." Rain offered.

"Uh...yeah, looks like I'mma need it. Thanks, hun." Harley said appreciatively.

"No problem! Let me just gather my things and we'll be out in a couple minutes." Rain said, making her way towards their lockers.

"The faster the better, please!" Harley urged her.

On the drive back to the house, Harley tried to call Casey three more times. She still wasn't getting through. It would go to voicemail every time. With her anxiety increasing even more, she decided to give Ivy a call.

"Hello, Harley. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Ivy answered.

"Red. Please tell me you've heard from Casey." Harley said.

"Um...the last time we talked was this morning, but nothing since then. Why? Did something happen?" She asked.

"I'm starting to think so, hun. Casey isn't answering his phone. I-I'm on my way back to the house now, I got a ride from one of my friends at work, b-but what if-"

"Whoa whoa, slow down, Harley. We're not sure if anything happened yet, right?"

"N-No..."

"Once you get home, confirm first. We'll take it from there. Until then, I will try to reach him too." Ivy said.

"Okay...okay..." Harley nodded, rocking back and forth a little in her seat while trying to calm herself down with a few deep breaths.

"Harley? Are you feeling alright? You sound like you're gonna throw up." Rain observed, glancing over at her from the driver's seat.

"Y-Yes, I'm okay. Just...the sooner I can get home the better..." Harley said. She had to stop herself from revealing anymore details. She bit back the urge to say that she was starting to have a panic attack.

Finally, after what felt like forever, Rain pulled up in front of their house. Harley immediately opened up the door and hopped out before the car had fully stopped.

"Whoa whoa, careful!" Rain exclaimed, hitting the brakes suddenly.

"Sorry, hun, really! But I gotta go! Take care of yourself!" Harley said, grabbing her purse and shutting the door.

Harley hurried up to the front door of the house. She reached in her purse for her keys. She muttered to herself, stressing because she couldn't hold her keys steady with her shaky hands. As she stuck the key into the lock, she paused, noticing a piece of paper taped to the front door:

"Call me by midnight, darling – Mr. J" was handwritten on the paper in red marker, with 'Mr. J' being signed in green. Harley's eyes widened. She pulled the paper off the door and read it again.