Chapter 13: Trauma

It was a slow day at the bank.

Casey and June, who were both on the same shift for the second time since he started working there a week and a half ago, sat next to each other, idly chatting to pass the time while they waited for another customer to come in.

"Is it always this slow around lunch?" Casey asked curiously, sitting back lazily in his chair.

"Not really. Sometimes. But it's never really dead like it is today. Guess everyone in Gotham's taken care of their money problems." June joked. Casey scoffed and shook his head.

"Tch. Yeah sure. We get paid next week, right?" He asked curiously.

"Yep! Which is good, because my rent payment's coming up."

"Oh yeah. No hitting the club this weekend then, huh?" Casey joked and chuckled.

"Ugh, no. Actually that night that we all met up when you got here was the last time I've been to a club in, like, forever." June pointed out with a little laugh.

"Oh really? Same for me...well, the first time I've gone just to hang out and have fun, not for work." He clarified.

"Right, right. How're you adjusting to Gotham, by the way? New house, new girlfriend, new job. That's a lot going on all at once - very fast too." June pointed out. Casey nodded.

"Yeah. But things are alright. You guys are right, there is more work here. I've been able to book more music-related gigs, and I've even sold a few photos on the side. Between that and now this, I'm feeling pretty good. And things at home are good, especially with Harley there."

"Ahh, that's good...wait, is she living with you?" June asked.

"More or less, yeah. She sometimes stays with her friend over on the east side, but she likes being at my house more." He answered.

"Does she not have her own place?"

"Actually, no. She was staying with her old boyfriend before and got kicked out." Casey briefly explained. June turned towards him in her chair, looking at him with more concern.

"How long have you two been dating again?" She asked.

"Uh...little over a month now actually." He answered. June's eyes widened.

"Casey, are you sure she's not just using you to have a place to stay?" She asked sincerely. He shook his head.

"I thought about that but no, definitely not. We're a team, you know? She's looking for work, she cooks and cleans at home. We've got a real arrangement going on. It's good." Casey said with a smile. June still had her doubts, but Casey did look happy.

"Okay...just be careful. I don't want to see you get hurt again." June said. She was tempted to make another negative comment about Harley, but refrained from doing so.

"I understand. I'm being careful, I promise. But you'll have to meet her sometime soon, whenever we're able to get together again." He said.

"Yeah, of course," June nodded. "We can go out for drinks or something." She suggested.

Before Casey could respond to this, suddenly half a dozen men in tactical gear and armed with guns burst through the door and started swarming the building. June and Casey saw this and immediately ducked behind the counter, tucking their bodies out of sight as much as they could.

"Hit the panic button quickly!" June said, pointing to it. Casey looked up and his hands fumbled as he used three fingers to press it all the way in, triggering the silent alarm.

"W-What do we do now?!" Casey whispered to her urgently.

"We have to wait. Just do whatever they say until the police arrive." June whispered back.