Chapter 12: First Day

It was the first day of work at Casey's new job at the bank. He woke up early that morning, showered, and got dressed in an ironed dress shirt and tie. Once he was ready, he stepped out of the bathroom and into the main bedroom.

He was surprised to find that Harley was no longer in bed. Had he accidentally woken her up? As he made his way downstairs, he could hear the faint sizzling of something cooking on the stove. He came down and found Harley in the kitchen making breakfast for both of them.

"Harley? What're you doing up so early?" He asked, walking towards her. Harley looked back at him and smiled.

"Mornin' baby! I made some breakfast for my favorite man!" She said with a laugh as she served up their plates. Casey looked at her in astonishment.

"Aww, you didn't have to do that, babe. It's early. You're not sleepy?" He asked.

"A little, but I wanted to see you off on your first day at the bank! I'm excited for ya!" She said with a giggle.

This moment gave Casey pause. Harley could see that her gesture had meant a lot to him, because he couldn't help but stare at her with a surprised but appreciative, loving expression. That was exactly what she'd been hoping for.

"Thanks babe," He said, going up to her and giving her a quick kiss. "You're the best." He said before taking his plate and sitting down to eat.

"Aww you're welcome hun!" She kissed back and giggled again before they sat down to eat.

The two of them shared breakfast in relative silence. Harley didn't want to hold Casey up too much since he had to leave shortly. However, something did happen towards the end of breakfast that soured the mood just a little bit.

As Casey was finishing up his food, he got a phone call. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and only looked at the caller ID for about a second before answering it...

"Yo...oh yeah? Really? Niiice," He said with a laugh. "Dope, guess we'll be working together, huh? ...haha okay. See you soon then, I guess! Bye, June." He said before hanging up and sliding his phone right back into his pocket.

A tinge of jealousy hit Harley immediately. Who was June? Hadn't she heard him mention her before? And to add onto that, Casey didn't feel the need to elaborate on what that phone call was. He finished his plate and stood up.

"Thanks for the food, baby," He said as he went back into the kitchen to rinse his dirty dishes off. "That was my friend June. She was the one who recommended this job for me. Turns out she's on shift today, so she's gonna help me get settled in on my first day." He explained.

"Oh...so she works there too?"

"Yep!" Casey answered with a nod.

"I see...hey, isn't she that girl who was with you at the bar when we first met? She was touching your arm and ruffling your hair." Harley recalled. If that was indeed June, then Harley already knew what she looked like: skinny with long, dark hair.

Pretty enough to get a guy's attention.

Casey's eyebrows furrowed as he thought back to the night he'd met Harley. His eyes absently shifted side to side a few times before suddenly lighting up, "Oh yeahhh! I'm surprised you even remember that!"

"Yeahhh...so that is June?" She asked to clarify. Unfortunately, Casey nodded his head.

"Yep. She's always been playful, heheh, but there's nothing to worry about there. I was planning on telling her about you, actually." He brought up.

"You were?" She asked.

"Yeah of course! My buddy Mac saw us so he knows about you. So I won't be surprised if she knows a little something about us already. But we're all best friends. Of course I'm gonna brag about you, baby." Casey said with a chuckle, saying that last sentence in a flirty little way.