Chapter 26: New Things

"This is the new place? Oh, I love it! It's so peaceful and quiet – like a little farm!" Harley said with a giggle, excitedly getting out of Casey's car, "I'll get Red's stuff if you can get the gift basket." She said, hurrying to the trunk to grab a bag of things that Ivy had left behind.

Casey got out of the car and opened up the back seat, pulling out a gift basket with sweets and soaps that Harley had bought as a house-warming gift for Ivy. His hands gripped the handle of the basket nervously, while Harley boisterously made her way to Ivy's hideout ahead of him.

He still hadn't told her about Ivy's kiss. The fact that it made him nervous to tell her seemed like reason enough to be guilty, right? She was Harley's best friend after all, and while he didn't do anything wrong, how would it affect their friendship?

"Hey, love!" Harley greeted Ivy enthusiastically as they went inside. She ran up to Ivy and threw her arms around her, hugging her tightly. Ivy chuckled and returned the hug, "I love the new place! It's so you." She complimented.

"Thank you. My babies chose well," Ivy smiled. "What's that you have for me?" She asked, pointing to the bag in Harley's hand.

"Oh, just some stuff ya left at the house. Here ya go." Harley handed it to her.

"Really? How unlike me. Well thank you," She took it before noticing Casey coming in with the gift basket. "I don't remember leaving that at the house." She said humorously.

"Yeah, haha, Harley wanted to get you a little house-warming gift basket...from both of us." He said.

"Well thank you. You can just set it down on that table right there." Ivy pointed to a table next to him.

"Okay," Casey set the basket down on the table. As he did, one of Ivy's 'babies' snapped its teeth at him and hissed, causing him to step back defensively with his hands up. He nearly backed into a few more planted in a garden behind them, and they snarled at him.

"Whoa whoa, hey...Red? Help?!" He said nervously.

"Hey! Down!" She quickly called them off, "Be nice to Casey. He's a friend." She smiled sideways at him before resuming her conversation with Harley about her new home.

At Ivy's word, the plants no longer showed any hostile aggression towards Casey. He swallowed nervously, turning towards the one by the table. It lowered its head suspiciously, sensing his eyes on it. He leaned a little closer to study it.

"...hey there, little...piranha plant." He said in a quiet voice.

The plant perked its head up a little, tilting its head curiously before chirping a little. Casey chuckled softly and moved in closer, bringing his fingers closer. It flinched back defensively.

"It's alright. Here." He brought his hand in closer.

The plant leaned towards his hand, rubbing its head against it. Casey pet its head, and it licked his hand before becoming a lot more excited and cheerful.

"Ha, just like a dog." He said, petting it with both hands now then holding its head in his hands. He played with it a little longer before taking a step back.

Hearing more chirping behind him, Casey turned around and noticed that Ivy's other babies in the garden were now interested in him, likely wanting the same loving treatment. Casey made his way over to them, and they all began to lean in closer.

Casey reached out and began to pet them one by one, rubbing and caressing their heads. It was like running his hands on living leaves. The more he touched them, the more they appreciated his touch. He didn't even notice that one of them was snaking a vine around his torso.