Chapter 2: Denial & Acceptance

Harley wandered downstairs into Casey's kitchen/living room area. Casey was still asleep in his room. With nothing else to wear, she put on her red and black jumpsuit again while leaving her hat on the counter. At first, she was going to simply leave...

But instead, she decided to go into Casey's fridge, take out some groceries and make breakfast for the both of them. She hummed to herself as she did so, thinking quietly about what her next move was going to be. By the time breakfast was done, she had her day planned out.

Casey, now awake, came down the stairs. He followed the scented trail of cooking food down into the kitchen. He found Harley serving their plates. She had made omelets. His eyes widened slightly and he blinked a few times in surprise.

"Hey." He greeted her, clearly not expecting her to still be there. She looked at him and smiled.

"Hey, cutie! You came just in time. Food's done," She said. "You got anything to drink?"

"Yeah, water," He answered, looking at the plates oddly. He picked them up and put them on his table between the kitchen and living room. "You...didn't have to do this, Harley."

"Well, I wanted to! Bet you never had a girl cook ya breakfast the next morning, did ya?" She said with a giggle. Casey glanced at her with a smile.

"No. It looks good. Thank you." He said appreciatively.

"You're welcome!" Harley smiled, happy to see him recognize the kindness of her little gesture.

"Here, come sit. I'll get the drinks." He invited, pulling her chair for her.

"Ohh, such a gentleman." Harley chuckled, walking over and sitting down. She waited for Casey to come back with two glasses filled with ice water. He set hers down first before sitting down across from her.

"The food looks really good, Harley." He said, picking up his fork.

"Hope ya like it." She replied with a smile.

The two began to eat her breakfast. Things were quiet between them for awhile. Based on how Casey was scarfing the food down, Harley just figured that he was really hungry. He did speak after awhile finally.

"So, where are you gonna go after this?" He asked curiously.

"I sent a text to my best friend...Red. I'm gonna stay with her for now." She answered.

"Gotcha. Well that's good that you have somewhere to crash... Were you living with your previous boyfriend?" He asked, now reading between the lines of the information Harley was giving him.

"Mhmm," She nodded. "He...threw me out. Left me with nothing. All I have is a little spare cash in this...outfit." She said sadly. Casey's eyebrows furrowed.

"Gosh, I'm really sorry, Harley... That's awful."

"It is...I'm going to get my clothes and stuff today. After that, I'm done with him for good...!" She said, crossing her arms in front of her as a gesture of her conviction. In reality though, she was uncertain as to whether or not this would really prove to be true.

"Well that's good. You deserve much better than that." He said sincerely. She knew that he was right, but he said it so simply without a second thought that it actually caught her off-guard for a moment.

"You're right. I do..." She nodded and swallowed. "I-I should get going. Red's probably waiting for me right now." She said, getting up after she had finished her food. Casey got up as well since he was already finished.

"Yeah. I'll walk you out." He volunteered.

Harley grabbed her hat and made her way to the front door. Casey walked up behind her, unlocking the door and cracking it open. He turned towards her and rubbed his hand on her arm.