Chapter 15: Lurking In The Dark

After a long night out, Catwoman made her way back into her little apartment. She climbed in through the window and, after closing the curtains, removed her mask and put down her bag. As soon as she set both feet down on the floor, a few of her cats came over and brushed up against her ankles.

"Mama's home. You little rascals must be hungry, huh? I'll bring you something in just a minute." Selina said with a smile, crouching down and petting them for a moment. She stood up and made her way to the kitchen, getting milk from the fridge and pouring out cat food.

"Busy night?" A low, male voice asked from within the shadows. Selina's head lifted up in surprise for a moment then she smiled, looking in the direction of the voice.

"Very busy...to what do I owe the pleasure, my dark knight?" She asked, watching as Batman stepped out of the dark and walked into the kitchen.

"I'm looking for Joker." Batman answered, watching as Selina set down the food and milk for her cats.

"Joker? Is he still running loose?" She asked.

"Seems he's gotten lucky. He's found a new hideout that's not on any files." He explained.

"Oh?" Selina smiled sideways. "You can't find him, huh? Why else would you ask me for help?" She presumed, walking up to him and lifting his chin with her finger.

"I'm not here to ask for help. I'm here to ask a question." Batman clarified.

"Oh? Ask away." Selina whispered, moving closer to him.

"Where's Harley Quinn?" He questioned. Selina's eyebrows furrowed at this odd question, and she leaned back a little.

"Harley? What do you want with her?" She asked.

"I know the Joker kicked her out a few weeks ago. I know that you've seen her. Where can I find her?" He asked. Selina shook her head.

"I haven't seen her and I don't know where she is. I'm sorry." She said.

"Tell me the truth, Selina." He calmly insisted.

"I really don't know, Bruce." She said again, putting a hand on his chest.

"...alright." He backed off the subject. Selina paused for a moment, contemplating what his intentions were. Did he want to take Harley to Arkham Asylum? Or something else?

"Why, uh, why do you want to find her?" She asked.

"No one knows how Joker moves better than she does. If they really are estranged, there's a chance she'll give him up." He explained his reasoning.

"I see...I'm afraid I can't help you there." Selina said.

"I'll find her one way or another." Batman said. He started to turn away from her, getting ready to leave.

"Hey," Selina put a hand on his arm to stop him. She put a hand on his cheek and gave him a kiss, which he returned. "Why don't you stay for awhile, hmm? I haven't seen you in a couple weeks. Why don't we catch up?" She offered, stroking his cheek.

"I have work to do." Batman abruptly rejected her offer, wrapping his hand around hers and removing it from his face.

"Yeah, you always do," Selina said with a little sigh, stepping away from him. "That's too bad. It just so happens that I'm free for the rest of the night." She said, looking back over her shoulder and smiling at him.

"I'm not." He responded simply, looking out the window. Selina glanced outside and she could see that light of the Bat Signal shining in the cloudy night sky.

"I see. I guess this is bye bye for now then, Bat boy." She waved to him, resting her elbows on the kitchen counter and watching him leave.

Without another word, Batman exited her home. She waited for him to be completely gone before pulling her phone out and sending a text message to Harley to warn her: