Chapter 7: Getting Involved

Harley hummed cheerfully to herself as she made her way to Casey's house. After Selina had helped her out, her spirits were starting to lift up. Things were finally going her way! She was becoming independent from the Joker, handling things on her own, and the cherry on top?

Starting fresh with a new, better boyfriend.

Harley skipped all the way up to Casey's door and knocked on the door in a musical pattern. After a few seconds, Casey answered the door. His expression didn't seem exactly happy. It was hard to read exactly.

"Hey, cutie! I'm here!" She said with a grin.

"Hey, Harley. Come on in, come in." He invited, opening the door up for her. She walked inside and gave him a smooch as she stepped in. Casey kissed her back and closed the door behind her.

"How's it going, baby? Didja have your job interview yet?!" Harley asked.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for coming to speak with me. I wanted to talk to you...I wasn't sure whether to do it on the phone or in person." He admitted. Harley's smile sank into a worried expression.

"Is something wrong?" She asked. Casey didn't answer her right away. He just gestured to the couch.

"Do you wanna sit down? I can get you something to drink." He offered.

"No, let's just talk," Harley said, walking to the couch and sitting down. "What is it, Casey?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Uh..." Casey took in a nervous breath, sitting on the couch across from her. "So...I talked to your friend 'Red' the other day. And by 'Red', I mean Poison Ivy...?" He said.

"Yeah, she texted me about it! How did you even run into her?!" She asked with a giggle, "She's my best friend, yeah. What'd you think of her?!" She asked. Casey gave her a strange look.

"She's...an eco-terrorist." He said slowly.

"Well...that is the technical term for it, isn't it? Never thought about that." Harley hummed in thought.

"Harley...why didn't you tell me that you were a criminal?" Casey questioned. Harley's eyes widened, and she swallowed nervously.

"I-I...okay, so I knew that this was gonna come up. I promise, baby, I was going to tell you eventually, I just wasn't sure when! Honest!" She said.

"You were going to tell me eventually," Casey repeated slowly. "I guess it's kinda on me, huh? For not putting the pieces together." He sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"Well, I mean, what was I supposed to say?! 'Hey there, handsome, I'm Harley Quinn. I'm a homeless psycho clown!'?" Harley argued defensively. Casey scoffed.

"Are you kidding me, Harley? You're a criminal and a murderer! And your boyfriend is, like, one of the most dangerous people in the world!" He argued.

"Hey, I left that jerk behind! He's not my boyfriend anymore! You are!" She pointed out right away.

"He's still one of the most dangerous people in the world, dude! What happens if he finds out about us and he's like 'I don't like that!'? Do you realize the danger we'd both be in?!" Casey pointed out.

"He doesn't care about me! And I've been careful! There's no way he'd even find out! And if he did, I would protect you!" Harley argued. The conversation was quickly becoming very heated.

"Oh, right, yeah, okay." Casey responded sarcastically. Harley growled in frustration.

"Don't talk to me like that, Casey! I'm being serious! You're making a big deal out of this!" She said.