Chapter 16: Harley's Deal

The dead of night was when Casey slept the hardest, and when Harley struggled the most to fall asleep.

When Harley first got with Casey, she had a hard time sleeping around this time because she was used to her former lifestyle: sleeping and being lazy during most of the day and then being the Joker's wild and crazy girlfriend at night.

She had adjusted to Casey's schedule now, but she still had a hard time sleeping at this time because she wasn't used to the silence. At this time of the night, not even a car would pass by. If it wasn't for Casey by her side, she'd have a way harder time falling asleep at all.

However, it was because of the silence that she was able to hear the faintest sounds of footsteps downstairs. She wasn't sure if she was hearing right at first, but when she laid very still and listened closely, she was able to confirm someone unwelcome was downstairs.

She looked at Casey for a moment before getting up quietly. She grabbed her hammer from underneath the bed and slowly made her way downstairs. Without shoes on, it was easier to keep her footsteps quiet.

Her bare foot slowly touched the living room carpet. She stepped away from the stairs and looked around. A single light was on in the living room...Batman was there waiting for her. She flinched and gasped when she saw him.

"What are you doing here, Batsy?" She asked quietly.

"The game's over, Harley. Where's Joker?" He demanded in his normal calm, low voice.

"Shh! Keep your voice down, Bats! My boyfriend's tryna sleep!" She shushed him.

"Where's Joker?" He asked again.

"I-I don't know, alright? I'm done with him." She answered, shaking her head.

"I'm not asking again." Batman started walking towards the stairs. She quickly jumped onto the nearest step, getting between him and the path upstairs. She held her hammer out towards his face.

"You stay right there. You try to lay a finger on Casey and I'll bash that bat-brain of yours, y'hear?" She threatened him.

"Casey. The bank teller." Batman said, seemingly recognizing the name.

"Yeah, Casey: the boyfriend, my bank teller...wait...oh, you know what I meant! Hands off my lover, got that?" She stated again.

"You're 'dating' the bank teller." Batman said doubtfully.

"Why ya sayin' it like that, huh?" Harley asked irritably through her gritted teeth.

"What's the game here, Harley? What does he have that you want?" Batman questioned.

"What I've needed and always wanted...the love and the attention that I deserve...real love." Harley answered, spinning her hammer once before setting it down next to her.

"So you expect me to believe that your relationship with this man is serious?" Batman asked.

"It is serious! I love Casey! He's good to me! He loves me, and he's done so much to help me! Look at me! I'm out of the game now! I haven't done anything wrong since we started dating!" Harley pointed out passionately, her quiet whisper rising up to an angry, hushed whisper.

"Is that so?"

"Yes! Urgh, you're so frustrating! Look, if you're here for Joker, I don't know where he is. I'm done with him. I want nothing to do with him anymore. I'm with Casey, and I'm staying with him. Got it?" She said definitively.

"So you truly want to give up your life of crime?" Batman asked, sounding slightly more convinced.

"I just want to be with Casey now. I already asked Poison Ivy and Catwoman to put the word out that I'm retired." She pointed out.

"I know. I heard. That's a big change, Harley."

"But it's a real one! Please, B-Man, I'll do anything to keep this new life I have – my life with Casey is what I want now." She begged him, clasping her hands together and going up to him.

"You'll do anything...if you help me take down the Joker, I'll consider letting you stay here if you keep your word." Batman offered.

"Really? Yes, yes of course! I-I don't know where he is but I still know his favorite hideouts!" She offered.

"That's a start...you help me, I'll help you. Deal?" Batman said, holding his hand out.

"Deal! Thank you!" Harley said appreciatively as she shook his hand.

"I'll be back tomorrow. Be ready at midnight." He said before turning away from her and walking out the front door.

"Goodnight, Batsy." Harley said, closing and locking the door behind him. She took in a deep breath and let it out shakily.

How was she gonna pull this off?

Harley went back upstairs with two glasses of water in her hands. She went back to the bed and sat down, drinking her full glass before setting both down. She got back under the sheets next to Casey. As she snuggled up next to him, he stirred and woke up slowly.

"Mm...Harley, is that you?" He asked sleepily, rubbing his eyes with one hand and turning to look back at her.

"Yeah. Sorry, baby, I was gettin' water. I didn't mean to wake you." She apologized.

"It's okay, babe...you should've got me some." He said with a dry chuckle.

"I did!" Harley smiled and reached back for the other glass of water. She passed it to him. "Here you go, sweetie." She said.

"You're the best," Casey said before drinking all the water in his glass. He gave it back to her and she put it next to hers. "You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, of course I'm okay, love. Why?" She asked.

"You having trouble sleeping?" He asked.

"A little but it's okay. I feel better now. Let's just go back to bed, okay?" Harley suggested, stroking his chest with her hand.

"Yeah, I'm going back to sleep, heheh. Love you." He said, laying on his side facing her. Harley smiled fondly and kissed him.

"Love you too, baby. Goodnight."

"Night." Casey said, returning the kiss before closing his eyes and going right back to sleep.

Harley sighed a little, stroking his cheek and relaxing next to him. She nestled into his arms and buried her face in his chest, listening to his heartbeat. She wanted to tell him that she was scared, but she felt like it was better not to tell him at all so that he wouldn't worry or get mad at her...

She just wanted to protect him now.