Ch. 24 || Beautiful

Start from the beginning

They took their seats too and instead of going for the chair I pulled out, I went and sat beside Cade, to ask him something I'm really curious to know and I don't even understand why.

"Who's that?" I asked Cade in a low voice only he could hear, straight to the topic. He doesn't like it when people speak unnecessary bullshit instead of talking about the actual business.

"That's Lex. Lex Costello, the new mafia king of Maxion." Cade replied as he picked up his spoon.

I am not even concerned or surprised of an actual mafia sitting at the table having breakfast with us, I'm sure Damien is much more powerful because I have heard from dad that Damien is the Godfather of all the major Mafia groups. How my life has changed.

Lex Costello. I repeated the name in my head. It's not uncomfortableness I'm feeling about this man, but there's definitely something making me curious and sad.

I sneaked a glance at him and he was already looking back at me. Our eyes locked and something unspoken spoke.

Zayn ?

No ! That can't be possible. I've tried searching for my twin brother everywhere and in everything over the years but this? This can't be possible. No. If Lex was my twin brother, my father would have immediately recognized him or at least my brother would have contacted me or anyone in my family here. He wouldn't be here sitting without recognizing me.

I am just seeing things. I think I'm just missing my sister Thia's presence. She said she won't attend my wedding and that's what she did. She is still back there in Maxion city.

She is practically my mother, the only woman and the only person who always kept me safe. She had protected me all her life and sacrificed so many things for me.

But now, it's her life on the line and I had to make the sacrifices just to protect her, dad and my friends. And that's the thing she didn't like. She thinks we can get rid of the enemy without me having to marry and she hates the fact that I'm marrying someone I barely know just because of her. That's why she is not mentally ready to be present today-on the wedding day.

What she doesn't understand is that it's not her fault. It's no one's fault. Fate had this coming for me, and nothing could have prevented that.

This is it. I am just missing Thia and missing Zayn too and I am projecting.

After a few minutes, all the other family members joined too. A few more guests than yesterday, including my uncle and his family. People chatted, laughed and had fun while Damien, sitting on the head seat looked so extremely irritated.

It's no surprise he doesn't like talking while eating. What's surprising is that I find his irritation amusing. Not the I-love-he-is-not-enjoying but the it's-cute-to see-him-pouting-mentally.

It's official I am losing my mind if I am finding Damien endearing.

Fortunately, Lucien is not here for breakfast. I wonder what Damien said to Lucien last night? That question was bugging me the entire night. Did they fight? Or maybe Damien didn't give a shit about me. I will go with the latter.

Damien's eyes met mine and the hot heat burned in my cheeks and stomach. I have never consumed alcohol but according to my knowledge, Damien's gaze on me burned my skin and senses like the first sip of alcohol for the first time would.