Extraordinary winterbreak - part 2

Y/N's POV

We all went to bed quite early, but no matter how I shifted, I couldn't find sleep. Even though it had been over a month, the betrayal of Professor Masons still haunted me.

I just couldn't piece it together. What was her motivation? What did she get out of this?

I had spent hours talking to her and although I had shared a lot of my insecurities and fears, she had done the same. My mind kept replaying her tragic backstory, how she lost both of her parents in the pursuit and protection of knowledge.

Sure she could have made it all up in order for me to trust her. But I had a feeling that she was sincere about her past.

It somehow felt like I missed an important piece of information. A final piece of the puzzel.

I tossed and turned a bit longer before giving up and walking out of the bedroom. I made sure that I wouldn't wake up Anne, for she and I shared a room.

I snuck through the dark corridors and made my way down the stairs. I was quite shocked when I saw the room bathed in an orange glow. The fireplace was lit. The crackling sound of it calmed my stressed mind. Or was it the man I found sitting crossed legged in front of the fireplace?

His eyes were fixated on the orange flames, but his gaze was distant as if he was completly lost in his own thoughts.

"Couldn't sleep either?" He asked, making me jump. I didn't realize that he was aware of my presence.

"Just a lot on my mind. How about you? Are you worried about tomorrow?"

He gave me a half smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Reading my mind again? Ominis will be livid if he knows we are still using it this much."

"I wasn't actually. I just know you Sebastian." I said as I took a seat next to him.

He put his arm around me and pulled me closer against him. My head automatically fell on his shoulder.

"You shouldn't worry so much about tomorrow. Ominis would never do anything that could hurt Anne." I said trying to cheer him up.

"I know. It's just that the prospect of a cure, is making me anxious. Last year I was so certain of myself that I had found the solution, but in the end I only hurt the people around me." His voice was barely audible above the crackling of the fire.

"We all thought that we were doing the right thing." I said in an attempt to make him feel better.

"Don't lie Y/N. You and me both know that was hardly the case. Ominis was against all of it right from the very beginning. And as time went by, you grew more cautious as well. But I didn't listen to reason and-"

I shut him up by taking his face in my hands. "Please stop beating yourself up, Sebastian. You were solely determined to help your sister. Did you make questionable decisions on the way? Maybe. But it all lead to this outcome. Your sister is looking much better ever since she moved out of Feldcroft and we are both here together." I said as I tried to make eye contact.

But even though I held his face in my hands, his eyes refused to lock with mine.

"I never told you this before, but I was scared that night in the catacombs." I admitted.

Sebastian finally made eye contact.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. You saved my life multiple times that night." I whispered.

Sebastian stayed quiet as he recalled the horrors of that night.

"But you were only there because of me. I put you in terrible danger that night and I still hate myself for it."