XVI

Y/n's POV

Christmas Eve is just a day away, but Kim insists on staying with me instead of going home. I need to head out to pick up the promise ring, but she follows me everywhere, so I can't easily leave.

"Shouldn't you be preparing for tomorrow's party?" I ask.

"I will," Kim replies casually.

"Why not start preparing now then?" I suggest.

"Later, babe," she says, shrugging it off.

Ugh, she won't budge. I could call or text one of my friends to pick up the ring, but they're all busy with the holiday preparations. I could have asked Matt to do it, but I gave him time off to spend with his family. He works too hard.

"Maybe you should go now," I say.

"Are you trying to chase me out? Tired of me already?" Kim teases.

"No, never! You know I'd never get tired of you. I just thought you..." I trail off.

"I was joking, babe. But maybe you're right. I have tons of gifts to get ready for the kids," Kim says, maneuvering herself out of my arms and getting out of bed.

Finally! She walks into the closet to get dressed, and I follow suit, needing to get ready as well.

"You gonna drop me off?" Kim asks.

"Yeah, sure. I can do that," I reply.

.....

I got to Antonio's place, he was my families trusted jewler when it came to resizing, customizing and polishing jewelry.

"Hey Antonio," I greeted him.

"Y/n, I thought you weren't coming," he said.

"Sorry Tony, she wouldn't leave, and I didn't want her to come with me. That would ruin the surprise," I explained.

"Its all good but let me get it for you," Antonio offered.

I knew of Kim's love for Lorraine Schwartz, so a few weeks ago, I had someone attend an auction and successfully bid on a very special item. However, it needed to be resized and so I had it brought to Antonio.

"There it is," Antonio said, rounding the corner and placing the custom box in front of me. Taking a deep breath, I opened the small box – this was it. It was perfect. I examined it and my heart beat in both excitement for tomorrow and heartache for the dent this made in my bank account.

"You like it?" he asked

"It's perfect, Tony, she'll love it." I replied.

He packed it up for me while I signed the documents and took care of everything. I had insurance on the thing since Kim had a history of losing rings. I spent a whole lot of money on this, and I'd be damned if she lost it.