Volume 1: Chapter 32

"One lady's a suspected drug trafficker, another lady insists on ordering pig brains. Looks like Yan Xie's still the most beautiful."

Jiang Ting

-

Fuyang District, He Ping Police Station

At noon, the sun was ablaze and the violent thunderstorm last night disappeared as though it never happened. The long alleyway was bustling with activity, brimming with the sounds of hawkers hawking, cars honking, voices shouting, and the rustling of fabrics as shoulders brushed past one another. There was an endless stream of people running errands at the local police station, causing a long line of electric cars to extend from the parking lots all the way to the main road.

A young lady in a white dress stumbled to a stop at the mouth of the alley.

"..." Her chest heaved rapidly, in tandem with the indistinct pants spilling past her lips. Widening her eyes, she gazed towards the entrance to the police station. A few students walked past, swinging her backpacks as they curiously glanced back a few times to look at her.

Finally, as though she had firmly set down a resolution of sorts, she shakily took a single step forward.

"BEEP BEEP--"

The honking car squeezed out a path in the winding alley, unheeding of the pedestrians' curses and swears. It rolled to a slow stop beside the girl. Suddenly, the window lowered, and a fierce and low voice drifted out from within.

"Get on!"

As though stabbed by a heated needle, the young lady froze in her steps.

The person in the car cursed under their breath. Shortly after, someone from within opened the car door and grabbed the girl, pulling her into the car in one swift motion!

"...!"

The young lady yelped softly, then didn't let out any more sounds, as though she didn't dare to make a single peep.

The car door slammed shut and the window rose. Driving by the bustling entrance to the police station, the car made its way out of this small winding alleyway.

Jianning City, Public Security Bureau

"How the hell did you guys carry out my instructions? A few big men like you guys letting a little girl run away from under your noses, do you have shit for brains?!"

With a loud bang, Yan Xie slammed the thick stack of case files heavily onto the conference table. His three subordinates sat before him, not daring to raise their heads, fully flushed from their neck to their ears.

"Blockheads! Idiots! Played for a fool by a little girl!" Yan Xie pointed at their heads one by one, his vicious scolding ringing across the entire floor. "Don't stay on in the investigation team next quarter, scram back to your logistics team and eat dirt! Come back when you rank in the top three of the examination; if you don't, then prepare to spend your entire life in a patrol station!"

The door swung open. Covering his mouth with one hand, Qin Chuan coughed awkwardly.

"That... Lao Yan, we've arrested Ding Jiawang and his wife. They're currently being interrogated in two separate rooms."

Yan Xie snorted coldly, then turned around and walked away. The few officers let out a synchronized shiver.

"I don't know." Ding Jiawang sat in the shadows of the interrogation room. His eyebags sat distinct on his face, his voice hoarse yet laced with steel. "Ding Dang may be my daughter but she is already a grown woman. She stays in the school dormitory usually as well, so I don't question her much."