Volume 1: Chapter 14

Volume 1: Case 502 - The Intoxicated Frozen Corpse

Chapter 14

It wasn't easy for Head Gou to do an autopsy on a bottle of mush.

-

Yan Xie had previously said that the apartment was poorly furnished, but frankly, if this was considered poor, then the Public Security Bureau was a large scale hay shed that rose steeply from the ground.

Walls had been taken down to make way for a massive living-room, and the glass doors that met the floor were connected to a spacious horticultural balcony. The interior of the rooms were decorated in a contemporary, minimalistic, achromatic style- a black, white and gray scheme designed utterly for men. Natural marble floors, when paired with the brand-new, luxurious branded-set types of furniture, would cause anyone to think they had entered a showroom set up by a real estate company. They all looked too expensively gorgeous and rigid; without a breath of life in them.

The silent confrontation transpiring in the living room froze what was left of the air into a likeness of spikes of ice.

"What do you want 'Captain Jiang' to say?" Jiang Ting eventually broke the silence. "Let me know, and I'll tell you."

Yan Xie let out a sneer. He leant back into his seat, and sized him up and down brazenly. "Don't get me wrong, I no longer give a rats-ass about that little disagreement back then. It doesn't matter if you're the high-and-almighty Captain Jiang or just concealing yourself as Lu Chengjiang. It won't impact me that much to go far as to add insult to injury just for the sake of satisfying some kind of sick mentality."

"You were bedridden in the hospital for three years, and for the entirety of that time, you were safe from trouble. The moment you were discharged, however, a new drug circulated and surfaced in Jianning City. It's not like the tactic used in disguising the new drug as a smart drug, in an attempt to lure in all those rich kids, was never employed in Gongzhou before. But still, you defended Hu Weisheng. Why?"

"He bought me with money, are you satisfied with that answer?" Jiang Ting replied nonchalantly.

" -cut the bullshit," refuted Yan Xie with a wave of his hand. "If that sonnafagun' Hu Weisheng is loaded, then why does he need to dabble in 'retail'? To be able to force you, Captain Jiang, to sign off an attempted-rape case, I'm sure there must have been a bigger incentive hiding behind Hu Weisheng's back."

To which Jiang Ting replied at an unhurried pace, "So you're implying that I'm the one who orchestrated all of this?"

Yan Xie couldn't find the right words to reply to him in that instant.

Hence, Jiang Ting added, "See? I told you he bribed me, yet you refused to believe it. Again, when I said I'm the mastermind, you didn't believe me then either. Honestly, the truth is basically how you see it-you should have more faith in yourself."

It seemed to be a congenital-trait of Jiang Ting's to be disinclined to move his own facial muscles, as he always looked completely relaxed and aloof, keeping people at arm's length no matter the circumstances. In a natural and non-forceful manner, he deflected all of Yan Xie's accusations.

As his eyes locked on to him, Yan Xie realized the other man was utterly impenetrable. He suddenly thought of the day he went back to investigate the crime scene again, the day he saw Jiang Ting frozen in the middle of the crossroad upon witnessing the car accident. Now that he thought about it some more, Jiang Ting was the only one with a flaw in his behavior, and was the sole person who could have taken advantage of the situation.