Volume 1: Chapter 6

Volume 1: Case 502 - The Intoxicated Frozen Corpse

Chapter 6

Yan Xie heard the voice of his younger self say hesitantly, "Um, Captain Jiang..."

-

"You believed him?" asked Qin Chuan, looking slightly skeptical.

Yan Xie locked his fingers together in a strictly manner. After a short pause, he gradually explained, "The technicians are working on recovering the surveillance footage. If they're able to find proof that he wasn't at the scene, I'll believe him."

The Vice-Captain's office was filled with the mixed stench of instant noodles left overnight and cigarette smoke. The sounds of people bustling about could be heard from outside. The officers who didn't have any night shifts were beginning to report for duty in quick succession.

"But Old Yan, that's bullshit. Feng Yuguang's dean and academic advisor both said his results were horrible. They'd thank the heavens if he could even complete his graduation thesis. Yet, that Chu Ci said he desperately wanted to bet with him on the doctorate exam? And he wanted to work on the project? Feng Yuguang indulged himself with TV series, games, and picking up girls every day. It literally isn't in his character to be fascinated with learning. And just listen to Chu Ci's statement. Don't tell me you didn't hear him spouting lies just now? That brat is definitely hiding a lot of things from us!"

Yan Xie pointed his finger at Qin Chuan's face, shaking it left to right in front of Qin Chuan's nose. "I'll reserve my opinion for the first half. But I very much agree with whatever you said after."

"...There were some things he tried to cover up."

Half an hour earlier, the interrogation room.

"He made a bet to take the doctorate exam."

"What?"

"He made a bet that he'll definitely get a Ph.D.," Chu Ci said grudgingly. "I don't know what gave him the confidence to say that. Maybe it was because of his end-of-term results- he always manages to miraculously scrape through with a passing grade."

Yan Xie and the investigator responsible for recording the statement exchanged glances with one another, both of them extremely surprised by this new discovery. Yan Xie quickly turned to Chu Ci. "...How did you end up talking about this topic?"

"When I entered the room, he was studying. There was an experiment he didn't understand and so he asked me whether I could explain some things to him. Our relationship isn't so bad that we won't even talk to each other, so I taught him for like about twenty minutes. There were a few points later on that he couldn't catch no matter how I explained it. So I told him that we'd leave it at that for the day since that part was just for an extra-curricular extension. Even if he didn't understand it, it wouldn't have a big impact on his studies."

"That's when he panicked and told me not to look down on him. He said he's not as bad as everyone else. If he really wanted to get his doctorate, he could," Chu Ci explained. "I wasn't actually looking down on him."

Yan Xie thought deep down that everyone understood. In many cases, the top student would never realize the natural discrimination they held towards a slag student. Yet the slag student in question was very sensitive. But he didn't express anything on the surface, only asking, "So you two made a bet? What was the bet about?"