Volume 1: Chapter 5

Volume 1: Case 502 - The Intoxicated Frozen Corpse

Chapter 5

The name's Chu Ci, with the Ci character from mercy.

-

Although worn out after spending the entire night searching for the source of the new drug, when Qin Chuan heard that the investigators had locked onto the deceased's identity, he instantly rushed back to the City Bureau without stopping to rest. He had just pushed open the door when he received such a shock that he was rooted to the spot.

"But... but he's still alive?"

Ma Xiang facepalmed. "Our investigative work has been slipping..."

Crossing his arms, Yan Xie stood outside the interrogation room and coolly remarked, "How about you head in there first and kill him?"

The corner of Qin Chuan's mouth visibly twitched, the words-Can't afford to offend. Don't ever offend him-were written all over his face.

A man who looked to be in his twenties, dressed in a light-gray shirt and large white coat was sitting in the interrogation room. His hands were placed on the table with fingers tightly interlocked with one another. His expression was incredibly watchful and vigilant as he probably still couldn't react to-or figure out-why the police had barged in and suddenly dragged him into the Public Security Bureau the moment he stepped into the lab early this morning. Even the veins on the back of his hands were visibly bulging.

"You're Chu Ci?"

"Yes."

"State your age and where you're from."

"Twenty-one. Guizhou."

"What do you do?"

"Attending a graduate school in Beijing. Chemistry major."

"Then why did you come to Jianning?"

"I'm about to graduate. My academic advisor pulled some strings and got me an intern position at an industrial chemical corporation here."

The investigator recorded each statement one by one and asked again, "Which corporation? Which university in Beijing? What's your academic advisor's name?"

Contrary to everyone's expectations, the man before them opened his mouth and told them everything; naming an exceptionally well-known private industrial chemical corporation, a university that everyone in the country had heard of, his dean and his academic advisor, along with everything else they needed to know. He answered each question in a clear, concise, and well-organised manner. Then, he continued to explain, "My student ID is in my bag. And my academic advisor is rather famous in the industry so you can go ahead and investigate all you want to check if it's true. My apologies, I didn't have time to ask, but what on earth did I do wrong? I've been camping out at my lab working on experiments dealing with sodium methoxide catalysts. I'm sure that you can retrieve the surveillance footage as proof..."

Lifting a hand to press his Bluetooth earpiece, Yan Xie quietly commanded, "Ask him if he knows anything about the bag."

"At two p.m. on the 16th of April, you went to the financial centre to buy a bag. For what reason?"

In the interrogation room, Chu Ci visibly paused for a moment before answering, "I don't know anything about a bag."

"He's lying," Yan Xie muttered in a low whisper.