Volume 1: Chapter 10

Volume 1: Case 502 - The Intoxicated Frozen Corpse

Chapter 10

"And here I was wondering why are you so eager today. It turns out Yang Mei isn't here." laughed Yan Xie.

-

"The number you have called is busy now. Please try again later..."

The street was filled with an endless stream of traffic. Yang Mei's fine brows were knitted together while she attempted to make another call standing beside the car door.

After a long stretch of time passed, the call was suddenly picked up right before the line was about to give a busy tone. "Hello."

"Brother Jiang, are you done yet? I just finished work. I'm going to head to the hospital to pick you up now-"

"I'm being followed."

"WHAT?!" Stunned by the news, Yang Mei hurriedly whispered, "Who is it? Are they from Gongzhou or... ?"

Seeing that Jiang Ting did not promptly reply, an icy chill suddenly spread from the depths of Yang Mei's heart.

If the men were sent from Gongzhou, the worst they could do was take his life.

But if it came from the other party, then that could lead to a most terrifying scenario, one beyond imagining.

"It's difficult to say for now." Jiang Ting's voice finally came again. Yang Mei had a faint sense that he was rushing ahead with large strides. "This guy came to the hospital to ask about me and left a trace behind. The way he handled matters is quite clumsy, so it doesn't seem like he was sent from that side."

"So what do we now?! I'm heading there right now to pick you up!"

The ensuing sound of Jiang Ting's calm voice forced down her anxiety. "Regardless of who wants to kill me, they still have no idea that you exist, so don't come and find me. Head back to the bar and find a few others to help out first. I'll lure him out of the hospital and give you a call later."

"Hello?! Brother Jiang!..."

A busy tone came through from the phone, indicating that Jiang Ting had hung up on her.

Stuffing the phone back into his pants pocket, Jiang Ting stared ahead of him and caught sight of a man's figure abruptly emerging from around a corner behind him being reflected on the glass door at the end of the corridor.

-unexpectedly, he was closing in on him.

Was the man an overt amateur, or was he planning to make a move?

He was already at the end of the corridor with nowhere else to go. Jiang Ting snuck a glimpse behind before immediately charging down the stairs. The steps he took were so graceful and smooth that when he turned, the rising wind swept the nurse's hair. Regardless, he didn't stop and made straight for the lower levels.

He arrived on the fourth floor.

This was the last floor of the inpatient department. If he headed down any further, he would only find the fire escape and elevators.

Face devoid of all emotion, the moment Jiang Ting's foot touched the ground, his eyes scanned his surrounding and darted across every corner of the place. The wards, elevator, staff station, safety door, were all etched into his mind in less than half a second. Not far from him, several nurses were currently pushing their respective elderly charges along as they slowly wobbled forward. He gauged that they were roughly twenty metres away from him.