Chapter 26: The Second Task

Start from the beginning

Morana stared at me. "You see this?" She moved her shirt slightly, revealing her tattooed collarbone. "Now, I don't know what it means to you, but to me..." She started to cry again. "To me...to me this means that our friendship will never die. It symbolizes a Gryffindor and Slytherin friendship. Which is something that most people would not expect. But we're friends anyway. And I love that about our friendship. Please, Aura...just let me help you..."

"No..."

I walked away again, my fists clenched.

Looking back on this, it seems quite stupid.

And I really did regret it.

A lot more than I regretted breaking up with Luna.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE SECOND TASK~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day I found Luna on a bench in the courtyard with Ginny. I was gonna walk up to her, but I didn't want to interrupt their conversation.

"You still like her?" Ginny asked Luna.

"Well...I think so," Luna answered. "I mean, she was one of the first people, along with you, to...accept me. For me. She didn't find it weird when I talked about nargles or whatever. She just...listened... But I don't know. It wouldn't be a good idea to date her again."

"Well, why not?"

"Because...because she deserves somebody better than me."

"But if she wants you, too -"

"I don't think she does."

"- couldn't you at least give it a try?"

"Yeah... I guess..." Luna got up, and started walking in my direction. I didn't move. When she got close to me, she noticed me. "Oh! Hi, Aura! I was just...I was just talking about you..."

"So, you think we should get back together?" I asked Luna.

She looked up at me. "Well...if you wouldn't mind..."

I expected my first reaction in my mind to be 'F**K YEAH, OF COURSE LUNA, KISS ME MY DARLING'.

...but it wasn't.

My first reaction was 'Would you really choose Luna over Morana?'.

But the question wasn't 'Would you rather date Luna than date Morana?'.

The question was 'Would you rather date Luna than have Morana as your best friend?'.

And the answer was obvious.

No. Of course not.

"Luna..." I finally said. "I would love to. Really. I would. But...there are some things that I need to change about... There are some personal things that I need to fix before we can go out again. I'm sorry."

"Oh. No. It's okay. Just...when you wanna...let me know, okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "Of course."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE SECOND TASK~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided that I needed to talk to Tess and Xenia about everything that I just told you about. So I told them in the girls' bathroom.

"So," I said after I told them everything, "I know that you don't like her, Xenia, but you guys are the type of friends to want me to be happy even if it isn't what you would be okay with...'cause you're amazing best friends... Now...I know that you guys are not Morana."