Chapter 16: The Goblet Of Fire (Through Another's Eyes)

Start from the beginning

The plates filled themselves as usual, but there was more variety to the food. I guess that added French food for Beauxbatons and...a different...kind of...food for the Durmstrangs.

The Great Hall felt a little more crowded than usual despite the fact that there weren't even twenty other students. But it was probably the uniform color difference. Beauxbatons' was blue and Durmstrang's was (now that their fur was off) a deep blood red. And we just had a simple black.

So we ate our food and talked as usual (we all tried French and whatever food; they were good!) when Megan Jones (a Hufflepuff girl my age) said, "Oh! That's why Filch added four chairs instead of two!" Some of us looked where she was looking and saw that the announcer guy from the Quidditch World Cup, Ludo, and another guy were sitting at the staff table. I wonder when they got here?

So we ate and ate and ate, then dessert came and we ate some more.

After everyone was done their food Dumbledore stood up.

"The moment has come," he said with a smile. "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation" - there was some polite applause - "and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports." My eyes widened as there was a much louder round of applause for Bagman. I'm guessing the majority of us knew who he was! Who was he, you might ask? Why, he used to be a Beater for the Wimbourne Wasps!

"Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch," Dumbledore continued, "have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts." At the word "champions" the listening students listened more intently. Dumbledore smiled, probably noticing the attentiveness. "The casket, then, if you please, Mr. Filch."

Filch, who was lurking in a far corner unnoticed, walked to Dumbledore holding a wooden chest with jewels encrusted on it. There was a murmur of excitement and interest from the watching students.

"The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman," Dumbledore continued as Filch put the chest on the table in front of him, "and they have made the necessary arrangements for each year, and they will test the champions in many different ways...their magical prowess - their daring - their powers of deduction - and, of course, their ability to cope with danger."

Ah, yes, of course! What's a competition without knowing how to cope with danger?!

I guess other people weren't too thrilled about it either, because the Hall was completely silent. You couldn't even hear anybody breathing.

"As you know," Dumbledore calmly went on, "three champions compete in the tournament, one from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

What's this "Goblet of Fire" that you speak of, Professor? It sounds cool!

Dumbledore took his wand out, and tapped it thrice on the top of the casket. It creaked open slowly. Dumbledore reached inside of the casket, and pulled out a wooden goblet which by itself was un-impressive, but it was filled with blue fire. Dumbledore closed the casket, then put the goblet on top of it so everyone could see it.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion," Dumbledore said, "just write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet. Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete. To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross the line. Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all."

Everyone then left to go to wherever they were sleeping. I went to the Hufflepuff dormitory (duh) where Erica would not stop asking me questions!

"Who do you think is gonna be selected?" Erica began, asking her questions a bit fast. "Who from each school? What'd'ya think the tasks are gonna be like? Oo, I hope we enjoy watching them! Don't you kinda wish you were seventeen so you could compete, but because Dumbledore said the word 'danger' you're kinda glad you're not?"

"Okay!" I said. "Erica! One question at a time, please! Uh, I don't know who's gonna be selected because I don't even know who's entering!"

"I am!" I heard a voice. I looked up and saw Cedric Diggory.

I smiled at him like the idiot I am, although I made a lousy attempt to hide it. "Well, I hope you get it."

"Thanks, Tess."

"No problem, Ced." Cedric then walked away. I sighed. "Anyway, um, Erica? I don't know anybody who doesn't go to Hogwarts! Okay? Soo, I can't answer that question. Um, dangerous, indeed. I'm unsure how, though. Um...yeah, actually. I kinda wish I was seventeen, but like you said. Danger. Now come on, Erica. You should get some sleep."

"Okay! Good night, Tess!" Erica hugged me good night, then went to her dormitory to sleep. I then followed her lead and went to bed myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE GOBLET OF FIRE (THROUGH ANOTHER'S EYES)