An Offer - Chapter 17

It had been about a month since Y/N was told about the mysterious second survivor of Mercury. If Y/N were alone after being told, he had no idea what he would've done. Well he did. But he didn't want to think about it.

Luckily, Y/N had the wonderful company of Asuka, his now fully realised friend and crush. There was a lot to Asuka that made her quite so alluring to Y/N. Her confidence and attitude was feisty, but seeing her break down to this comforting and soft person was a real treat. She was very talented as a pilot, fun and funny as a person. Sure it took effort to get through to her, but Y/N felt as if the reward was worth it. Very worth it.

Asuka had been hugging him tighter the past month too. Y/N really didn't want to jump to conclusions, but he can read people pretty well. Asuka's actions to him for the past while point towards her liking him too. Y/N really wanted it to be this way, but Asuka being Asuka...

It wasn't worth the risk. Not at this point, anyway. Y/N wasn't stupid, and he had a certain charisma and charm around him. Asuka had been making advances on him the past month too; the tight hugging and snuggling as they slept, taking special care of his medication, adhering to the injections he needed to do, wearing his leather jacket she really liked, ensuring he eats lunch, this "Sparky" nickname she's seemingly found a liking to. Y/N gave her a nickname first he supposed. She was a big fan of that too.

Y/N had been trying to rack his brain about ways he could seize an opportunity with Asuka. A date was way to forward; he had to play it cool, keep up his confident front and activate the charm. According to Misato, Asuka liked the charm; that's another thing. Misato had been throwing in odd comments towards Y/N and it seemed like Asuka for the past little while too, mentioning things they liked and giving glares to one or the other. Luckily for Y/N, he had been presented with an apt opportunity one day when spotting a flier whilst walking into NERV HQ.

Y/N - "NERV Winter's Ball-"

Misato - "AH! THE WINTER BALL! I had completely forgotten we were putting it on this year!"

Y/N - "The hell is the Winter Ball?"

Shinji - "An excuse to dress up and get drunk professionally. NERV calls it a celebration of a 'years of hard work.'"

Y/N - "What like some high school shit? I see."

Misato - "Oh Y/N, you play guitar don't you? We've been looking for a band for a while-"

Y/N - "A-Ah, no thanks..."

Asuka - "Whaaaaaaat!? C'mon Sparky, you of all people don't wanna go up and show off on stage?"

Y/N - "W-Well it's b-been a while since I've played..."

Misato - "Ah, you'll be great! I'll put in a word for you."

Before Y/N can call out to her, Misato rushes off, giggling excitedly. Y/N sighs under his breath, turning to grimace at Asuka and Shinji.

Shinji - "Misato loves the events NERV puts on. Getting drunk with Gendo and Ritsuko is a highlight of her career, according to her..."

Y/N - "Ugh, I don't wanna..."

Asuka - "Don't get all sappy Y/N, you'll love it. I personally can't wait to see you fall over on stage."

Y/N - "Uh huh."

Shinji - "Think I'll just ask Rei again."

Asuka - "Fair enough, god knows who I'm gonna ask?"

Y/N - "Wha? Ask? What we asking?" 

Asuka - "Ugh, keep up idiot! You have to ask someone to the ball, it's tradition."