Chapter 21- Open Your Eyes!

(1 day later, Wednesday, 5:30pm.)

"Kai." Jade speaks from my bedroom doorway, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I reply, turning my head to her.

"Did you end up looking at the group chat at all yesterday or today?" She questions.

"No, why?" I say, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Well, since you didn't. Sign this." She responds, walking towards me and holding out a piece of paper towards me.

Grabbing it from her hands, I read the text. "This is a restraining order." I state, looking up at her.

"Against Holly." She informs me. "Sign it." She repeats, grabbing a pen from her pocket and throwing it on my lap.

"Why do you want me to sign this?" I ask, picking the pen up.

"Because I warned Holly that if she was to see you again, she'd be getting served a restraining order." She answers.

"How did you even get this? The city hall would've been closed last night." I reply, clicking the pen.

"I got it this morning during our school breaks." She informs me, waiting for me to sign the paper.

"So, you want me to sign this because you told Holly not to see me?" I question, reading over the paper again.

"Correct." She nods. "Now, sign it." She instructs.

"What if I don't want to?" I ask, putting the paper on my lap.

"You want Holly to see and manipulate you again?" She replies, raising her eyebrows at me.

"Aren't restraining orders meant for physical violence offences? Holly hasn't done any of that." I tell her.

"Correction. Either an act of abuse, breaching the peace, causing fear, damage to property or intimidating another person are a couple of valid reasons for restraining orders." She responds. "And Holly broke three of those."

"What ones?" I ask, picking the restraining order up.

"She breached the peace, manipulated you on various occasions and threatened for self-harm if you didn't date her." She answers. "Now, sign the damn order."

"Good enough reasoning and I'm not going to argue against it." I nod, signing the restraining order. "Here." I speak, handing her both the pen and the now-signed restraining order.

"Thank you. I'm going to go get this bypassed now, I won't be home for a bit." She informs me. "You can do better than Holly, Kai. For example, you and Gwen are a much better match." She adds, walking to the bedroom doorway.

"Just because I have a crush on her doesn't mean she has one on me." I say, watching her exit my bedroom.

"Open your eyes!" Jade shouts, the sounds of her making her way down the staircase following suit.

Rolling my eyes, I lean back in my bed, patting Ezra as I think back to what Gwen's Dad said to me last night.

__________________________________

(Yesterday, 7:50pm.)

I watch Gwen enter the kitchen, her hands containing all of the empty plates. "I can tell she likes you." Her Dad speaks, my head looking towards him, his eyes focused on the kitchen doorway.

"I'm glad, she's a great person." I respond.

"She's been very closed off and doesn't let many people in." He informs me, looking at me with a sad smile on his face.