25* Keishin Ukai x reader (g/n) - Past lovers (haikyuu)

SUMMARY - you originally moved away but came back to visit to see family - while ur here, you go and wait at a training session of one of you close cousins volleyball team, where you run into an ex lover.

Walking through the high school gates, a wave of nostalgia washed over you. You had attended Karasuno High a good couple of years ago, and after graduation you landed yourself a well paying job that needed you to be posted in another country. It was hard leaving, but now you were back visiting family, including a close cousin of yours, Daichi Sawamura who happened to be the captain of the schools volleyball team. 

You both agreed that you would go to meet up with him half way through practice and then you'd meet up with the rest of the family for a get together dinner. Walking towards the gym, you could hear the noises of the balls being slammed down onto the floor and the squeaky noises of shoes on the gym flooring. Poking your head around the corner to look in, you spotted a familiar face. It wasn't Daichi, but a past lover, Keishin Ukai. You cursed yourself silently in your head as you leant back and took a deep breath.  You heard him yelling at and encouraging the boys on the team to do better, and it didnt sound like he had changed much.

Taking a deep breath, you stood back and walked to stand in the door frame, knocking on the side of it to avoid just walking in like you owned the place. Daichi turned, smiling and waving.

"Y/N! hey!, i'm glad you could make it. Hey coach do you mind if they just sit to the side? We're going out for dinner later and I agreed to meet up with them" he asked, turning his attention back to his training.

"Yeah sure, that's fine" Keishin said, looking at you through the corner of his eye. You tried to avoid his gaze as you moved to sit to the side before you were called over by a smaller blond girl. 

"H-Hi! im Yachi, please if you'd feel more comfortable, you're able to take a seat up on those benches with me and Coach Ukai if you would like?" she asked, only stuttering a little. You smiled before nodding and following her to the benches. 

You would've liked to not see Keishin, as the way things had ended, were not on the best circumstances, but it was too late now. Your relationship had ended as due to you needing to move for work, and him being set on staying here and taking over the family shop, you both couldn't see doing long distance. It hurt you both, and you both ended up going no contact.

You took an awkward seat between Yachi and Keishin. Yachi was finishing some work, as the coach had his attention focused on the volleyball training, you sat there awkwardly, twiddling your thumbs.

"Hey Keishin..um..it's been a while hasn't it? I wanted to apologise for how things had ended between us." you said with a slight smile, still not looking to face him.

"Yeah it has been a while, I was shocked to see you walk in, i mean, i didnt expect to see you back here." he admitted, turning to face you a little. You smiled, as you expected it to be more tense but it was less than what you thought it would be. 

"I'm back visiting family..but my posting ends soon so i'm expecting to move back. Your still into volleyball i see?, how's life treating you?" you asked, looking at him. Did you ever really stop loving him? not in a million years. He was your first and only love and you were his so was there a possibility for things to spark up again? maybe, but for now you just sprta wanted to stay in the moment.

"yeah haha...I coach the boys volleyball team and I've also joined the Neighborhood Association team.. Life's been good..the old man is still kicking and going well. What about you? and how long are you back for?" he asked in return, raising his eyebrow.

"Ahh yeah, well it's good to see your still into the sport after all this time. It's been good.. i'm happy to be back home, but i have to go back in 2 weeks." you said with a sad smile. He nodded before speaking again.

"It was good to see you again.." he muttered, before standing up and calling the boys over to dismiss them from today's training. You stood with him and caught up briefly as the team went and packed up.

"What's your relationship with Daichi? aren't you too old to be a friend..?" he asked with a chuckle, crossing his arms over his chest.

"ah! i should've mentioned it, my apologies. I'm Daichi's cousin, from his mother's side." you said with a slight smile. 

"mmhm.. ah yeah well it's good to know you're related then" he laughed, rubbing the back on his neck. You both stood and chatted a little while longer as Daichi collected his stuff and stood with the rest of the team. Sugawara leant over to him, whispering something in your ear as he pointed gently to you and Keishin.

"Is there some type of history between your cousin and coach ukai..? Look how close they are.." he said, causing Daichi and the rest of the team to look at you both. You stood there facing him, with your eyes lively and a smile on your face, with Ukai smiling a closed eye smile as you both continued talking with a lively and happy atmosphere surrounding you both.

Daichi just chuckled slightly, before walking over to you both.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt coach, i'm ready to leave when you are y/n, we might have to go soon though...it's almost time to meet up with everyone else." he spoke, holding his gym bag over his shoulder with his hands in his pockets.

"shoot... you're right. I'm so sorry Keishin but we have to go. Here, what's your phone number? We can catch up for a coffee before I have to leave again." you asked with a hopeful smile. Keishin returned the smile, before you offered your phone to him to add him to your contacts.

After swapping numbers, you and Daichi started your way off to where the family get together was.

"Hey y/n, if you don't mind me asking..What's your relationship with coach? you seem close, do you know each other?" he asked as you both walked looking ahead.

"Hes just a- an old boyfriend..its a small world isn't it?" you laughed as you felt your phone buzz in your pocket.

"wait hold on.. I got a notification" you muttered, pulling out your phone.

From: Keishin Ukai --> Hey, it was nice seeing you, are you free over the next couple of days?

You felt your heart flutter, before texting back quickly that you were. A pink blush started to creep onto you cheeks, as you and Daichi reached the restaurant.

END OF CHAPTER  25

Word count - 1174