Chapter Ten

⚠️Mature Content⚠️

--

Y/N stood on the rooftop of the apartment building, it had felt like a lifetime since they had last been here. Things had changed a lot now, the drugs and alcohol were gone, the work as an assassin was finished, and Natalia was back with them.

Things were good, really good, but for weeks not Y/N has been unable to fully remember the past few months. It felt like their mind couldn't ever quite bring memories fully into focus, or that small patches of time just vanished.

Maybe it was from the head injury following the explosion, that's what Y/N had tried to convince themself it was initially and that it would soon fix itself. However as the weeks went by Y/N knew that it wasn't actually getting any better. They didn't want to worry Natalia though, she had already been through so much, so Y/N hadn't mentioned it.

Y/N looked out at the city, a small flame danced between their fingers as they tried to again recall what had happened over the last few months. They let out a sigh of frustration a few moments later, again pieces were missing, a fog clouding them. The flame in their flickered wildly, as if it too was annoyed.

"Hey, I brought you up some coffee" Nat smiled warmly as she stepped out onto the rooftop, arriving two mugs.

"I'm sorry love, did I wake you?" Y/N asked as they took the coffee, "I tried to be quiet coming up here."

"No you didn't, I had a call from Steve about something and then I figured when you weren't in bed that you'd be up here" Nat explained as she came to stand beside Y/N.

"Please tell me they aren't trying to get you back to work already?" Y/N asked a frown on their face.

"They're going to want me back at some point Y/N, we're lucky they've left us alone for the last month" Nat sighed softly as she leant against Y/N, her head resting on their shoulder. 

It had been a slight surprise to Y/N the lack of Avengers trying to visit and get the pair of them to come back to the compound. For once it seemed like Natalia's friends were respecting personal space. 

"I tried calling Wanda earlier.. it went to voicemail again..." Nat said sadness in her voice, "Steve said he had seen her a week ago but that since then she hasn't been around the compound much. I'm worried about her." 

Y/N took another sip of their coffee, listening to Natalia. This hadn't been the first time that Natalia had brought up Wanda, her best friend, these last few weeks. It also wasn't the first time that when she did, Y/N would feel strangely cold, empty, incomplete when the redhead's name was mentioned. It happened every time. 

It was something Y/N couldn't explain, just like the strange things going on with their memory. However putting that aside, Y/N didn't like to see how sad it made Natalia that her best friend was so absent, especially after everything that had happened. 

"Maybe she's just taking a break? It's been a crazy year for everyone" Y/N suggested though they knew that it wasn't likely. 

"Yeah maybe..." Nat said softly, "Would you mind taking me to the compound later? I'm not going to get dragged into working on anything I promise, but I could really do with running through some training drills." 

"I'll hold you to that promise my darling" Y/N said as they wrapped an arm around Natalia, "I have some errands to run, so I will take you to the compound and come back when I've sorted some things out." 

Nat leaned up and pressed a soft kiss to Y/N's cheek. It still felt so surreal being here with them after everything that had happened. There had been so many moments when she'd been captured that Nat had begun to think she would never see Y/N or her friends again.