Home For The Weekend

♡Hope♡

I wanted to talk to my mom. I never thought the day would come where I wanted to actually call her because Dad got to me. He said she's cheated on him, he's said she was pregnant, he said she stole the house, he said a lot of things I, for one, didn't like. I'd just hyped myself up enough to come to the house. 

My family home. It had been months, a little over a half a year since I'd been back, and it looked different. The lawn was manicured, there was a different door, camera, lights, a car I'd never seen before in the driveway. 

The last time I talked to her, she was with someone else. Gigi's friend and I knew something was going on, but I didn't think she would replace dad. It just seemed so extreme at that moment, him calling me frantically trying to wager me on his side of the divorce. But Gemini was right about him. Him watching the abuse made him just as culpable, and he's the only one who's imploding. Mom apologized, she opened a line of communication and opted to let me be, she was being normal and he wasn't. 

I knocked on the door waiting a bit, before I heard the lock turn from the other side. 

"Yangie, you forgot your-,"

She was taken aback that I wasn't her lover, and stumbled a bit as her smile faded just a little. I looked at her with a small smile, I should've called but once I started driving I ended up here, and it was too late to call, so I just knocked. 

 "Hope, I didn't know you were coming home?" She stepped aside letting me into the house. Everything looked different. The couch in the family room was bigger, more used obviously due to the pillows and blankets littering it. 

Home. I smiled a little she still considers this my home. It's been so long, I didn't even know If I was welcome back, I didn't even know if I waned to come back myself. 

"I would've cooked and cleaned your room," I dropped my backpack at the door where I used to leave it all the time. I didn't plan to stay for long maybe a few hours just to check in on her. I looked her over, she was indeed glowing and she was definitely pregnant. He was right about that much.

"It's okay I wasn't planning to stay long, I just wanted to see you." 

Her smile grew so tender, and I opened my mouth just as the front door opened. I turned to see Yang walk in. She was dressed professionally, and she looked like she did the last time I saw her. Deadpanned. 

"Oh Yangie, you forgot your lunch, I'll get it for you. I was hoping you'd come back for it," She rushed to the kitchen and came back holding the box with her hand on her back. Yang took the box and kissed her head before she also touched mom's back. Yang seemed a bit concerned, as she whispered, and I suddenly felt awkward was watching them, so I quickly turned away to see the other new things in the house. 

The pictures on the walls were the same, they were all just me, at various stages of life. And new ones, with Yang and Mom, they were next to the balcony on a ship, on a Ferris wheel, on the beach, at the golf course, in the garage working on that old car my dad's had since I could remember. They were smiling like a real couple, like they loved each other. Mom and Dad never smiled that much, he never touched her the way that Yang does either. They didn't have any wedding photos and Dad lost his ring forever ago, but now I'm not even sure how true that is. 

"Does, Gigi know you're here?" Yang asked, and I whipped back around to see her tie now tightened and her hair just a tad bit neater as she held her briefcase and lunch box. 

I shook my head, "Not exactly I was hoping to be back before she got home from the clubs."

She looked at her watch quickly, "I'll be going to the company to check on some systems, I'll be back at 4:17." I opened my mouth to saw something until I noticed she was looking past me, not at me. But I jumped again when she refocused on me, and continued to talk.

"I'll have to inform Gigi of your whereabouts, it's a key part of my job. Also, can you stay with her for the day? She's been having some pain and I'm worried about her blood pressure, but I promised to have systems running by today. Just make sure she doesn't do anything too strenuous, she has water and her prenatals at 10, and lunch that isn't peanut butter at 12."

I froze a bit, and before I could say anything she was gone, Locking the door and arming the security system. Oh wow. This is totally new.

"Don't listen to her, she gets like that when my back hurts. I keep telling her it's a baby, they hurt your back," She hummed walking back into the kitchen with her hand on her hip now. I wouldn't say she was heavily pregnant, but she was a tad bit out there. If anything I have no doubts about having a healthy sibling.

"Maybe she's right, you should sit down?"

"I was going to get you breakfast, Yang and I eat at 7 every morning, I'll just fix you something small," She insisted as she opened the refrigerator and I looked at the two place mats and the newspaper on the table. It makes me wonder about Dad, how is he?

"Dad called yesterday," I spoke softly, carefully, and I knew she wouldn't like that. She turned away from the refrigerator closing the door slowly. I took a seat, at the table, and she joined me cautiously.

"He was angry," she nodded to herself.

I looked at the floor, pulling at my sleeve, "He was. I didn't like the things he said about you, he was so mean."

I bit my lip as I spoke my truest thoughts. I don't think I've even experienced him being mean. He barely even raised his voice at home, at me. He was different. 

"He's panicking, his mother was so upset when we got married, she hated that I let him I stayed with him, she was convinced I could do it alone, but I was so scared of being alone, I was naive. She hated the man he was, and she used to tell me a 'a hurt dog will holler'. He's scrambling, she knew he would, she warned me, she knew him better than anyone."

I hummed at that, Grandma did tend to invite us over under the guise of girl days, but now I see why she only visited when dad out for work. The outlook of my life is slowly changing day by day.

"I didn't only come to talk to you about Dad," I looked up at her, "I'm performing with Jazzy and Jay, in a concert, we got a record deal."

Her eyebrows lifted then dropped, "how are your grades? When did you start doing music, are you switching majors?"

The questions flowed immediately, but I didn't feel the malice I expected. I started to shake my head to stop her for a moment, "My grades are fine, it's hard, but I'm keeping up. I like my degree and I want to finish it, this is just for extra credits and fun, I love singing, and I thought it would be weird to go on tour without telling you."

She Smiled and rose again back to the refrigerator, "Oh, well, as long as you're happy, and congratulations on the record deal, Yang and I will see you guys perform, must be good to get a record deal."

I watched her move around the kitchen preparing food, it felt nostalgic.

As long as I'm happy. 

Why couldn't she just be like that my whole life?