S E V E N T Y - O N E

I decide it's time for me to go home. My skin is dirty with sweat and I reek of alcohol.

I call Layla to pick me up, we don't speak the whole car ride.

The second I walk into Kadens house, I break down. Falling to my knees while I sob uncontrollably.

At this moment, I feel so worthless. There was nothing I could've done yet why do I feel as if it was my fault? What if my legs carried me faster, what if I never left in the first place and just stayed by his side.

What if.

Slowly getting up, I manage to walk myself up the stairs and towards Kadens room. I desperately try to rip my clothes off, get my shoes off my feet and take my hair out from the ponytail.

I walk to the bathroom naked and turn the shower on. I don't wait for it to heat up, I just step in as it is.

I grit my teeth as the cold water washes the stench and dirt from my body. Washing my body, the only thing I can think of is mine and Kadens showers together.

More tears fall, being blended in with the water. It slowly turns warm and then hot. My skin burns but I do nothing to stop it. I sit down on the floor, hoping the water burns me enough to kill me, but it doesn't.

An hour passes when I think it's time to finally get out.

I'm going back to the hospital.

I put comfy clothes on, a simple pair of sweats and a hoodie because I could honestly care less about how I look.

Grabbing my car keys, I quickly slip my slides on and rush to my car.

***

I arrive at the hospital, my body completely drained of life and hope.

I run through the door and towards the front desk.

The receptionist chews bubblegum as if she doesn't work in a place where people die everyday.

The blonde slowly raises her eyes to mine, boredom written all over her.

"What can I do for you." She says, emotionless.

I bite my tongue in order to not scream profanities at her.

"Kaden James. I'm here to see him."

"Hmm," she types on her computer, the clicks of the buttons mesmerizing me. "The doctor will be down to see you shortly."

What? I shake my head, "no, I don't need the doctor, I just want to see him."

She rolls her eyes. "Yea, about that.. just wait for the doctor to get here, you'll be able to see him shortly.

"Fucking bitch." I mutter to myself as I turn away from her and take a seat in the uncomfortable chairs.

I'm surrounded by grief, not metaphorically, but quite literally. There's tons of people here, crying with tissues in their hand.

Please let me hurry and get Kaden out of here.

The doctor; an old man with greying hair, approaches me. I quickly stand up, standing right in front of him.