T H I R T Y - F I V E

K A D E N

As soon as I'm sure that Jasmine's asleep, I slowly unwrap her arms from around me and force myself out of the bed.

It's not like I don't want to lay with her- shit, I would be surrounded by her all the time, every second, every minute if I could. I just needed a smoke break. And maybe a cup of coffee. Or something stronger.

When I enter the kitchen, the fist thing I see is the back of Annalise's head. She has one AirPod in, and is staring down at her phone. She's watching a video or some shit, and has a small bowl of chips next to her. She has a bright, pink bonnet on her head, but I can see a few curly strands of hair coming out.

I grab my pack of cigarettes from the counter and take one out. I place it in my mouth and light the end of it with my lighter. My eyes focus on Annalise as she continues not to to notice me. But when I open the kitchen window to let the smoke out, that's when she turns her head, startling me.

"Jesus," she sighs, placing a hand over her heart. "I almost got frightened to death." She says with obvious sarcasm. I thought she was asleep?

I narrow my eyes at her. "Hey, Annalise?" I ask, taking a drag from my cigarette, then blowing it out the window.

"Sup?"

"What's your dads name?"

Her forehead creases. "Leon. Why?"

I shake my head and hide my small smile. "Just curious." I answer.

Not before eyeing my once more with suspicion, she shrugs and goes back to watching her phone. I finish off my cigarette and go back upstairs.

Marie is stirring in her sleep, rubbing her eyes and pushing the covers off of her. She pulls them back up, though. Only to kick them off again.

I chuckle to myself and climb back in bed. I pull her waist in so that she's pressed against my chest. My chin rests on the top of her head, my cheek on the pillow. She smells good. Is that creepy?

Leon Anderson.

What a stupid name. Who the fuck names their kid Leon? It's like they want him to get bullied or some shit.

Marie doesn't deserve to have to share the same last name as him. Hmm.

Jasmine Marie James.

I like that. I more than like that. I more than like Jasmine.

I feel Jasmine move around in my arms. "Kaden?" She whispers, although her eyes are closed.

"Yes, baby?"

"Kaden?" She calls again. I squint my eyes in confusion. Oh, wait. She's still asleep. She's talking in her sleep.

Dumbass.

"Kaden?" Her words sound slurred, as if she's drunk. Marie twists in my arms and snuggles her face into my neck. She subconsciously kisses my neck, before settling into me.

"I love you, Kaden."

I freeze. My body goes rigid like a fucking stick, and it feels like all my breath has been stolen. My fingers slowly twine themselves in her hair. I reply the words she's just whispered to me.

I love you, Kaden.

I wish she said them when she was awake. Maybe she will. But I know I won't do it first. What if she doesn't actually love me? What if she has no idea what's going on in her dream right now?

Fuck. That really hurts.

I reach over to the nightstand and grab my phone. I unlock it and pull up P's contact.