F I F T Y - S I X

FOUR WEEKS LATER
J A S M I N E

My mind feels foggy as I wake up late in the night. It's around 11:30, halfway till midnight.

Kaden lays beside me with a right arm draped over his face while his left hand grasps mine.

A sudden banging on the front door startles as I jump up in a panic. Kaden doesn't seem to acknowledge it or even hear it, he's too busy in his deep sleep.

I question myself, wondering if I should answer the door or try to go to sleep, but they give another knock on the door, this one louder than the last.

Okay, well they can wait a few fucking minutes.

I don't feel safe enough to answer the door on my own, the thought actually makes me close my eyes in fear. I have to remember I'm in Kadens house now where he has people coming and going.

I lean down to Kadens ear, "Kaden?" I whisper. He stirs in his sleep a little but doesn't answer me. I can't help but roll my eyes. "Okay, Kaden. Wake the fuck up." I pinch his cheek hard enough to finally wake him up.

He slaps my hand away and groans. "What the fuck, Jasmine." He rubs his eyes before opening them and staring up at me.

This is what really scares me.

"Listen-" I try to say, but get cut off by Kaden jumping out of bed and then grabbing me by the waist, throwing me over his shoulder. I squeal and kick but he doesn't budge. "I'm sorry!" I yell, still laughing.

"Nah, Marie, I don't think you are." He says.

The cold air causes goosebumps to rise to my bare arms as well.

"Okay, okay, seriously Kaden. There's someone at the door, that's why I woke you up, dickhead."

Finally Kaden puts me down onto my feet. I'm out of breath and still laughing as he's just smiling, looking down at me with awe.

"The door, Kaden." I remind him seemingly as he forgot in the past 5 seconds.

"Oh, right." He hurriedly pulls some grey sweatpants over his boxers, until finally we're walking down the stairs and going to the front door.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person already left, I mean come on we had to have taken at least ten minutes.

Kaden looks through the peep hole, and then suddenly, he scrambles to unlock the door, finally opening it.

There, stands a girl, maybe a little older than me. She has the same dark complexion as Kaden, but it's not what catches my eye. She has a big swollen belly attached to her.

My lips part with surprise.

"Maya? What the hell are you doing here?" Kaden pulls her inside from the cold and then slams the door close, locking it all up again.

"K.j, I-" she whimpers. "I need help." Tears start to slide down her blushed cheeks as Kaden helps her to the couch.

Who is she?

I stand next to the door for a few minutes while they talk, before finally recollecting my thoughts and joining them in the living room.

The girls eyes shift to me and then back at Kaden.

"Who's that?" She says out of breath. Kaden looks behind me and then back at her.

"It's fine, that's Jasmine. You can trust her." He says. He stands up, walking right past me all without even meeting my eyes. He goes straight to the kitchen and then comes back with a cup of something warm.