F O R T Y - T W O

K A D E N

Marie stands on her tippy toes trying to give me a simple kiss. I hide my amusement at her struggle and instead lean down to make things easier for her.

"I'll see you in a bit." I murmur against her lips. I can feel her frown, but it disappears as fast as it showed up. That's what I've noticed about her. She always tries to hide what she's feeling, Whether she's happy or miserable.

"I promise." I assure.

She nods her hand and lets herself away from me. I don't think she understands how fucked up I feel every time I leave her alone for merely two seconds.

Leo found some shit on her dad the other day. He's been bugging me about it, saying I should hurry up and get it over with. But I'm being smart about this.

Leon Anderson spends almost all his nights at the bar thirty minutes into town. When he's not there, he's sleeping on the sidewalk or pretending to be sober while he works.

It's truly baffling how his daughter came out so fucking sweet.

I start my car up and pull out of the driveway. Marie waits till I drive off before she shuts the door.

An incoming call shakes away my thoughts. The caller ID reads "L E O".

I answer it. His voice booms through the whole car and it's then that I realize I'm hooked up to Bluetooth.

"Shit." My ears are ringing.

"Yooooo, K.J! I found some real shady shit over here at your house. Someone left a box on your front porch, but it looks so...old and janked up."

I roll my eyes. "Alright, just put it on the counter. I'm thirty minutes away."

"Hey, I heard some of my buddies down at the club talking about Lucien. Apparently he's been selling some new shit. And apparently, it's good."

My knuckles turn white as they tighten around the steering wheel.

"It's just a step up. He's been selling those shitty edibles and cocaine bags for a few years now. It'll take another few more for him to really amaze people."

"Yea, I guess your right."

"No, I hope I'm right." I say. "Now start getting the stuff and packaging it up. We have to run to P's so we can get his batch. And then we'll head over to re-wood."

"Aight, man. See you."

***

"Sup, K.J." P dabs me up and then backs away. "I got our shit inside, let me go grab it."

He trolleys away while me and Leo wait in front of my parked car. There's no need to take all three of our cars. Rhodes is meetings us at the spot and then we'll go our separate ways for the night.

"You got a smoke?" I ask, suddenly feeling nervous. I really fucking hope Leon is keeping his ass on the sidewalk and as far away from Jasmine as possible. It would be a miracle if he happened to roll into the road. Maybe someone accidentally bumps into him...

"You good?" Leo hands me the pack and then the lighter. I take one out and place it between my teeth.

"Just peachy."

"Aw, shit. You know how much I like your little white girl, but don't tell me she's turning you... I don't even know the word. But black people don't say "peachy"." He imitates the last part in a country accent.

"Fuck off, Leo. Don't talk about her like that. It be a fuckin shame if your new gold teeth were smashed against the concrete." I light the cigarette and take a long drag from it. I don't think I've had a smoke in two weeks. Other than when I got high, but I'm talking about cigarettes.

"You're so fucking whipped, bro." He shakes his head in disbelief. "By the way, you're sister came by yesterday. She...has some news for you."

"What kind of news?"

Leo nervously scratched the back of his neck. "You'll want to ask her yourself. It's not my place to tell."

I chuckle. "She's not pregnant is she?"

But nothing comes from Leo. Not a sound, not a mumble, not a fucking peep.

I turn to face him, my mood already dying down. "Leo, don't tell me my fucking sister is pregnant and you knew before me."

"You should talk to her."

"Aight, I got the shit, we can head out now." Thank fucking God for P.

A second more, Leo might have been on the floor with a bloody lip. Do I feel bad? Maybe a part of me does. But the other bigger and better parts? Fuck no.

***

"Rhodes," I nod my head at him and do our handshake. "You ready?" I ask, walking beside him.

"Yea, let's load this shit up." We walk towards my car and then Rhodes' truck. He takes half of the "goods", and I get the other half.

"Who we headed to first?"

"We're going to Tay's. "

"Alright then let's get on with it gentlemen." Leo says as he gets seated in the car.

I pull away from the curb and head down the street. Five right turns and three left ones later, we're here.

I call Tayden and tell him we're outside with his shit. He wanders out a few minutes, stumbling over to us, obviously drunk.

His nappy hair is pointed up in every which way direction. Teeth as yellow as corn and big like a beavers front two teeth. The sight of him makes me wince. He's never looked this bad.

"Damnnnm, Tayden." Leo whistles and leans back against my car. "What happened, man?"

"Fuck off, Leo."

While they continue their banter, I check my phone for any missed calls or texts. Nope.

When the kids' chattering stops, I take that as my cue to give Tayden his stuff. He hands me 250 dollars, while I hand him a series of powders and pills.

"Thanks." He manages to slur out. I nod my head at him and go to open my car door.

"Hey, K.J!" He calls out before I'm able to get in. I turn towards him with an annoyed expression.

"What?"

"I saw that pretty girl you were with at the corner store. She seems like a sweet young lady. Keep her. I don't see none of those folks around no more."

He's seen Jasmine? When?

Before I can ask him anything else, he goes back inside and slams the door shut. I swear I can feel my feet vibrate from the slamming sensation.

If Tayden- Christ, If Tayden out of all people have seen Jasmine, who else? I never realized how careless I've been being. If Tayden has seen Jasmine, I'm going to guess that Lucien has too.

---