T H I R T Y - O N E

J A S M I N E

"So have you decided if you want to be a pirate, or a cowgirl?" I ask Annalise, sitting down on her bed and looking through the pieces of clothing she's set out for me.

"I'm not sure. Pirate is kind of overrated, and cowgirl is boring."

"Then why did you narrow your options down to those two?"

"Because I didn't know what else to choose." She shrugs. I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Okay, pirates have the sexy messy hair, and the ripped shirt hanging from their shoulder- now, this is not for you to be all sexy, I was just saying that people tend to admire pirates more."

She nods her head, as if registering my words. "Alright. Pirate it is. You can be the cowgirl."

Oh, I'll be the cowgirl. But later that night, I'm going to be something else. Something for Kaden...

"I can't believe Halloween is tomorrow!"
Annalise excitedly says. We don't have school this whole week because of some situation with gangs near the area, so we have the rest of the week off.

"Okay, let me help you get this all set." I help Annalise piece her outfit together. We found some skirts at the thrift store, and we decided to cut them up a bit, trying to make them look worn out and distressed. And then I gave her my old button- up white shirt, which she also cut up. At the thrift store, somehow, she managed to fine a good quality, black corset. She puts it on over her white shirt, and tightens it up. I give her a hat I bought at party city, which was 23 dollars...but anyways. She finished up her outfit with a pair of black combat boots, and lastly, her black eye-patch.

Wowza.

"Okay, now you gotta take it all off and wait for tomorrow."

She groans at my demand. "Jeez, this took so long to put on- Oh my god, am I going to have to smear a bunch of eyeliner on my face tomorrow?!" She squeals. I laugh.

"Pretty sure that's what pirates do." I shrug.

"Well, on second thought, maybe I should go with the cowgirl-"

"Nope, no, absolutely not. You're being a pirate, I am now the cowgirl."

She throws her head back and groans. "Dammit, I should have done the whole look before deciding."

"That would have wasted time."

"So what are you doing tomorrow?"

I purse my lips. "I'm gonna go to a party with Jayda and Layla for a little, and then I might go to Kaden's."

Annalise looks at me and wiggles her eyebrows. "Ooh, well at least one of us will have an eventful night." She sighs dreamily.

"You don't want to go trick or treating? I thought you were going with Nadia."

"I am. But her mom is making us bring her little brother." She rolls her eyes. "I love that kid to death, but he runs to fast. He's gonna make me too tired to chow down all my candy!"

I laugh. "Okay, okay. That's fair." I tap my fingers in my knees. "What's her brothers name again?"

"Danny. He's eight."

"Ohh, I got ya."

"But anyways, let's get back to costumes." She walks over to the bed and grabs the cowgirl costume she ordered on line. Annalise and me are the same size, her chest is a little smaller than mine, but I'm sure I'll be fine. "Okay, sheriff, go put this on." She shoves the bag in my face and leads me to her bathroom.